Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
p1clars0
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
WOHM needing advice

As a WOHM w/ 3 kids I struggle to pump enough each day to keep EBF'ing while DS (5 months) is in DC. We are getting close to the point where we are going to start solids--probably inthe next month or so. Looking to make my own baby food, but I'm wondering how in the world I'm going to be able to pump enough to do this. Any advice??

TIA mamas!!!

Advertisement

p1clars0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
sonella
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: WOHM needing advice

way to go mom! I EBF as well but I don't work out of the home so it's easier for me. I'd like to help (I make my own baby food) but i'm not sure I understand the problem. Aside from using an ounce or two per day to thin out the baby food, making your own food shouldn't really add any strain to your pumping routine. My food is mostly thinned with the water my fruits and vegs are steamed over (I've heard that this can help replace any vitamins that are lost) and then I freeze it all till I need it. Once thawed I add a touch of bm to thin it to the desired consistency. I've heard that using breast milk instead of water to thin the food (although perhaps preferable) significantly shortens how long the food will last in the freezer.
sonella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
p1clars0
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My concern is that i am struggling so much to keep up with the pumping, that taking an ounce or two out to thin the food, would probably leave me short on BM for DC. That concern made me think that maybe I shouldn't make my own until he can eat the thicker stuff. However, after reading your post, it sounds like I am better off thinning with water, rather than BM for longetivity in storage. That makes me feel MUCH better. Thank you!!!!
p1clars0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
iris777888
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Way to go on keeping up with the pumping! I'd suggest looking into the baby-led feeding method. Letting the babe self feed on solids from the start, rather than give purees or "baby food", means you don't need to waste precious milk that the babe would just as soon get directly. PM me if you want more info.