Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2006, 05:36 AM   #1
kelsey78
Registered Users
seller

Successful co-sleeping

I don't want to start a debate I really just want some encouragement. Has anyone ever co-slept in the past and was then successful in moving dc to his/her bed when they were older? I did not cosleep with dd. But ds is ebf and I work 3-4 days a week. On the days I work I am too tired to make him sleep in his crib (which is in our room). He sleeps like an angel when he cosleeps with me. But if I put him in his bed he wakes up several times. He sleeps in his bed for naps during the day though. I love sleeping with him I just want to make sure he won't be in our bed forever!

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2006, 05:55 AM   #2
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller

Re: Successful co-sleeping

All of our kids co-slept with us and they all sleep in their own beds now. Some time around 1 and a half to 2 years old they started spending more time in their beds than in ours. They all still come and lay with us every once in a while though, usually after bad dreams or bumps in the night. But, in my experience, co-sleeping does not doom you to sharing your bed forever.

Jeni

Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:55 AM   #3
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're basically doing the same thing. I also put DD in her crib for her first sleep session at night. When she wakes up DH brings her to me we nurse and she stays with us for the rest of the night. We're not trying to make that transition, but I'm sure it will work.
It seems like we talked about this last week. You could search co-sleeping and find out.
Karen
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hehe...we kinda had the reverse cosleeping thing happen with ods...he was two and we moved to a house where his bedroom was at the other end, and so he started sleeping with us and it was when he was nearly 4 that he started sleeping in his own bed again! of course times like now when dh is gone, he tends to crawl into bed with me more!

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:55 PM   #5
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter co-slept with us until about 19 or 20 months old. We had her crib side-carred to our bed when she was little. Most of the time she didn't really sleep in it though but it provided a bit more space to our Queen.

At around 19 or 20 months I started transitioning her to her own bed. I started by putting her crib mattress on the floor next to our Queen. When she'd wake in the middle of the night I would lay down on the floor (i padded it with body pillows) and nurse her back to sleep or comfort her back to sleep. I was just showing her that I could comfort her without her having to be in our bed. After about 2 weeks of this I moved her mattress into her room. It was a very easy transition and she is a very HIGH needs girl. I think for us it was easy because I haven't tried to wean her from a bunch of things at once. I still rock/nurse/cuddle her to sleep every night and I don't leave until she is asleep. Everytime she woke up I went to her room quickly and comforted her. If she walked into our room I carried her back to her room and comforted her there. If she asked to stay in our room sometimes I would. Once she was comfortable sleeping in her room I night weaned her (from nursing). So now at almost age 2 she is sleeping through the night in her own room. She is not afraid of her room and is not afraid of bedtime. Bedtime is not a battle. Our next weaning process will be helping her learn how to fall asleep without me in the room. But I'm not worried. She is all ready showing signs of being able to do this in the next 6 months or so.

I think the key is to be in tune with your childs needs and not to do anything too abruptly. I was able to tell when my daughter didn't need co-sleeping anymore and that she just *liked* it. But it became disturbing for all of us.

Anyway. I loved co-sleeping and probably would still be doing it if it weren't for our tiny little Queen bed and a DH that snores too much. Plus she would probably still try to attack me in the middle of the night by nursing!

Last edited by camdensmommy; 12-05-2006 at 11:57 PM.
camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:01 AM   #6
kelsey78
Registered Users
seller

Thanks to everyone. This helps me know that I can enjoy co-sleeping with ds, but not have him in our bed forever.