Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #11
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: "Are you there God, it's me Margaret..." for an 8 yr old?

You know your daughter best. I know many 8 year olds and they are vastly different - maturity wise.

Advertisement

MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #12
tommymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think there is another girl character in the book that started to develop early and it talks about how all the boys like her and she lets them "do stuff".

Might be a good time to talk about gossip.

I remember reading that book. It made me feel normal!
tommymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:50 AM   #13
MyMiracleBaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, my oldest dd started her period at 9. I think the book is innocent enough, and I don't believe in hiding things from kids anyway. It's a great way to open up a conversation between you and your daughter about things you inevitably have to talk about with them anyway. I loved the book as kid, and so did my oldest dd.

I do believe we should monitor the content of what our children read, so we can talk about it. My ds just read Killing Mr. Griffin (he is in 7th grade) w/o my knowledge. I was a little shocked when I read what the book was about (a group of hs students kidnap/kill their English teacher), especially when I find out that it was chosen from the classroom library in his English teacher's class. You'd think she wouldn't want to put ideas in any kids head! I was upset that he read that book, because to me the content was more for high school age students, and even then, I'm not sure I would want him to read something like that.
MyMiracleBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #14
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was that age when I read it and had a classmate who got her period that year. I think it's fine.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #15
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesshb View Post
I think it was "controversial" when we were kids (can't believe the book is getting that old) because it discussed subjects (period) that at least in my community women and girls didn't talk about much.

However, I think it would be an awesome conversation starter with your daughter. That's awesome that she is such an avid reader!

If it hadn't been for that book, I don't think my family would have ever told me about my period. I liked reading about Margaret thinking she wasn't ever going to get hers. {I was thinking that, but ended up getting my the same week after reading it}. {I was in 5th grade}.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner99 View Post
Good! I honestly never read it, but know the jist of what it is about, and I remember it being censored back in the day...

Funny thing is last week she asked what my lightdays pads were and I told her. Then I asked her if she knew what a period was and she said "yes". I didn't think she knew, b/c until last week I had not had one since she was 4! But I guess her friends may be more knowledgable...

Today I told her the book had to do with Margaret getting her period, so if she didn't understand any of it, to LMK.

Thanks mamas
That is awesome! Great job! I wish my mom had been able to do that for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
That book got me through puberty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildasMum View Post
You know your daughter best. I know many 8 year olds and they are vastly different - maturity wise.

I figure if your dd is curious enough to ask and want to read it, she is probably able to understand it also.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #16
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Great book! I read it at about 8
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #17
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:

I read that book WAY before puberty, so 8 is totally fine. Some 8 year olds already menstruate. The only thing I found confusing was the whole "belt" thing. You can't even get pads like that anymore. I totally didn't get it.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #18
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

I am going to go sneak and read the dang book- I am curious now and feel like I missed out
Old 10-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #19
bgb699
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner99 View Post
I am going to go sneak and read the dang book- I am curious now and feel like I missed out
Wow, if you didn't read it as a preteen you really did miss out! I read it when I was around 9 and don't remember being confused or upset by it. Judy Blume books are awesome! I think you'll really enjoy it, even this late in life
Old 10-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #20
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
That book got me through puberty.
ITA, I was a late bloomer, I didn't get my period until I was 13 years old. The book made me feel normal and made me realize that everybody grows at their own rate. I would totally let my DD read it. I'll probably FIND it for her to read.
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote