Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
littlebean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
bread making

I just recently start grinding wheat berries and making bread. Anyone else do this?

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
Silverfairy2
Registered Users
seller

Re: bread making

I don't grind wheat berries, although I should.
I love to make bread as long as it isn't hot. I live where summer begins in April and ends in late December.
I love to make potato bread, Guiness beer bread, wheat bread, Challah, etc.
Silverfairy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:05 AM   #3
jkelstaten
Registered Users

I've just started getting into making bread in the last week or so. Kneading is a good way to work out stress.

So far I made (really good, IMO) dinner rolls for Thanksgiving and last night I made English Muffin Bread (which I am enjoying as I surf DS)

If anyone has any tried and true recipes I would love to try them. I'm not a big fan of getting bread recipes of the web because I don't know how they will turn out.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
littlebean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfairy2 View Post
I don't grind wheat berries, although I should.
I love to make bread as long as it isn't hot. I live where summer begins in April and ends in late December.
I love to make potato bread, Guiness beer bread, wheat bread, Challah, etc.
ooh potato bread sounds yummy
Old 11-27-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
littlebean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelstaten View Post
I've just started getting into making bread in the last week or so. Kneading is a good way to work out stress.

So far I made (really good, IMO) dinner rolls for Thanksgiving and last night I made English Muffin Bread (which I am enjoying as I surf DS)

If anyone has any tried and true recipes I would love to try them. I'm not a big fan of getting bread recipes of the web because I don't know how they will turn out.
I made dinner rolls for thankgiving too And english muffin bread sounds great!!

I guess im the only one grinding wheat berries lol?
Old 12-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #6
Taowensf
Registered Users
seller

I haven't ground any (who am I kidding--I haven't made bread in a looong time!), but would be interested in more info on it. Do you have to make them a certain consistency, do you have to adjust anything else in a "regular flour" recipe, etc.?

Would love to hear more!
Taowensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:57 PM   #7
littlebean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I grind the wheat berries using a grain mill. There are two types of grain one is for pastry and one is for bread. For the bread I just follow the recipe as I would with regular wheat flour from the store. If I want an all purpose flour I can mix half soft wheat (pastry) and half hard wheat (bread). Its extremely good for you because the grain is not broken down untill you are ready to use it.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
Taowensf
Registered Users
seller

What brand of grain mill? Are there several brands to choose from, and are they expensive? I wonder if I could do this in the food processor?

Also, is it easy to find the berries, or do you need a specialty store or something?
Taowensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #9
littlebean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well there are many types of grain mills. The one I have right now attaches to my kitchen aid mixer. Its $100 for the attachment. I want to get a mixer that can do bigger batches and a bigger grain mill But that will cost me roughly $600 for both together. So I have to wait on that a bit. You can find cheaper ones depending on what you want. They have hand crank ones that work well and are cheaper.. or one like mine that is not too pricey especially if you can get it used.. which mine was so I only paid $50. As for the berries.. there is a mill 2 hours from me that sells them. But around here women co op them and we order a HUGE amount and get it shipped to us. But you have to be ordering a TON of grain. But you can also buy grain online.. its even on ebay! Just do a search and you will pop up SO much information!! Since starting this... my families digestive systems have been working SO much better. Several of my kids suffer with constipation here and there and have not had a problem since!