Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2006, 02:27 PM   #1
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
after bm/formula comes...?

I'm a little concerned about my DD's weight/build. She is 14 months old. We only go to the ped if she's sick because I got sick of arguing about immunizations, so she hasn't been in several months and I'm not sure of her exact weight. I'd estimate 24lbs (and we've already made sure she's in a bigger, RF carseat).

She is still nursing and on formula because she didn't tolerate a switch to milk very well and most of her solids are still carbs/snacks. How many/what types of solids does she need to be on in addition to my breastmilk (I have a low supply) for me to drop the formula? We don't do juice either.

I am also fighting to get her to take a cup instead of a bottle. I feel like she is overfeeding because it's easy to have a bottle and more work to use a cup.

I know I need to adjust her diet, get rid of the bottle and while she certainly shouldn't lose weight I feel she should definitely stop gaining as fast now that she is walking etc. Any tips? Especially foods that are healthier/more complex but easy to reach for (like a cheerio vs handshredding chicken lol).

Advertisement

ravenonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: after bm/formula comes...?

Avacados are VERY good for babies/children and they're pretty easy to feed. Just scoop the "meat" out of the shell and let them go to town. It's messy, but very good nutritionally.

Hopefully other people can give you some other advice.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller

At 1 year, I start giving small portions of what we are eating at each meal. My dd continued to nurse until she was 18 mos and would have kept nursing if I had not decided I was done. Plus they usually get snacks mid-morning and mid-afternoon as toddlers. My kids got milk with each meal and one serving of juice with each snack. The rest of the day they could have as much water as they wanted.

Some sippy cups have soft spouts to make the transition from bottle to cup easier, have you tried these? Also if she can't handle cow's milk, have you tried rice or soy milk? Also Pediasure is what they give children who have issues with gaining weight. My neighbor's child is 18 mos and only 21 lbs and hasn't gained anything in 6 months, they put him on Pediasure to try and get him to gain weight. I'm not sure I'd worry about a 24 lb fourteen month old unless there were other issues. 24 lbs at 14 months puts her in the 75th percentile, I'd say she's just about right. Most peds offices will let you come in without an appt and just have your child weighed, esp. if you breastfeed. You can print out the growth charts peds use on the net and you can track her growth at home if it will make you feel better.

There is a wide range of normal when it comes to toddler weight gain. My oldest was over the hundredth percentile through his entire infancy and toddler years. He was quite chubby and just plain big for his age. But now, at 8yo, he knobby kneed and lanky and has never been overweight and is just a little tall for his age.

Good luck mama

Jeni

Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #4
SJwith2girls
Registered Users
seller

Avocado was a big hit with my little one. Both my kids were big into Tuna. (no shredding involved) At that age neither of my DDs were big into the protien. They love well cooked carrots and sweet potatos. Fruit is a big snack at our house. My kids are fond of apricots, peachs and plums all relatively soft easy to eat fruits. Applesauce is also easy. Scrambled eggs too.

Does your little one have problems with all dairy or just milk. Yogurt and cheese are easy. Actually now that I think about it my first (5 years ago.....memory is already fading) didn't take to milk well.....no issues just didn't really like it much. My doctor said that was fine as long as she was getting her dairy from other sources like cheese and yogurt, eating a variety of foods and getting other liquids.

Sarah Jane - DD 03/01 ~ DD 08/04 ~ DD 05/07
SJwith2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a big dork, lol. I'm worried that she weighs *too much*, not too little

I feel a bit silly though - she is in the right size for her age and all the larges we own are too big; it's just distressing me to see all of her chub glory I guess. I don't want to make an issue of it w/her or say anything where my other kids could overhear, KWIM? I'm extremely obese and have been since I was 4, so I wince a lot worrying about doing the wrong thing.

She's the first child I nursed past 6 weeks, delayed solids, no juice or HFCS or artifical sweeteners etc so it's very radically different from what I went through/expected with my first two kids (who were "obese" at age 3 and also over 100th percentile in height and are now both *underweight* but have always looked normal to me.)

She seems to have issues just with plain milk and with several fruits (gets a horrible rash immediately on her butt but nowhere else). I did forget she loves eggs; how often can she have them? She likes oatmeal too in the mornings.

We eat a lot of seafood and noodles or rice, veg and fruit, and I'm not sure what parts of what we eat that she can have. With the reaction to fruits (no family history of food allergies tho?) I'm trying to be careful about what we introduce.

Do you think I can drop the formula in favor of water in sippies as long as she eats varied solids and continues to nurse? We only nurse about 3 times a day now but I don't think either of us are ready for weaning.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #6
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller

When my oldest was 2 years old, WIC tried to tell me that my son was 2 lbs overweight. I told our ped that and he just shook his head. He told me they don't even have a guideline for obesity until age 3 so he had no idea where they came up with their magic number to say my toddler was overweight.

I would say yes, it would be ok to drop the formula. I wouldn't worry too much about carbs and fat with a toddler either. I just wouldn't offer too much, if any, simple sugars (donuts, soda, cookies, cake....things like that) Remember, toddlers burn up calories like you wouldn't believe with all that running around they do. It's rarely a good idea to limit a toddler's calorie intake so long as those calories are coming from vitamin rich foods and not empty calories. (I say rarely because I'm sure there is some situation where it's appropriate and neccesary but the average toddler does not need to limit their calorie intake)

Noodles and rice are fine for a toddler (I let my 7 mo have small amounts of plain rice or noodles off my plate at meal times) Seafood is iffy, I'd stay away from shellfish still at her age but mild white fish that has been checked for bones should be fine. Fruits that are acidic are more likely to cause problems like you described. What fruit are causing problems for her? Apples, bananas, peaches and pears should be safe for her and can be bought canned in water or their own juice ( as opposed to syrup which adds sugar) which you can use as a substitute fruit for your dd when the rest of the family is having a fruit that bothers her. As for the eggs, I don't think there is a limit for eggs for toddlers. Some alternatives to oatmeal (if you want some variety) would be grits with cheese, cream of wheat with cinnamon or honey or maybe a little bit of molasses ( molasses has lots of iron but just use a little as it is a sugar)

mama. It sounds like you're doing the right things to me. Just remember toddlers are suppose to be chubby and if they are offered vitamin rich, nutritious food (not neccesarily low fat or low calorie, just not empty calories) they will run off all that toddler chub by the time they are preschoolers.

Jeni

Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:22 PM   #7
jkelstaten
Registered Users

Quote:
Also Pediasure is what they give children who have issues with gaining weight. My neighbor's child is 18 mos and only 21 lbs and hasn't gained anything in 6 months, they put him on Pediasure to try and get him to gain weight.
They would have a hayday with my girls.....they gained up until 10 months and then stopped DD#1 just started gaining since she turned 3 and has gained about 8 pounds in 6 months....DD#2 has gained a pound in 1 1/2 years. They were both 21 pounds for a LONG time.... (i realize they may have a had perfectly good reason for the Pediasure, I just think it's interesting to see that what is normal for one kid isn't for another.....just the way God made us I guess )

anyway, back on topic....

my kids have MAJOR food allergies so I have had to be very careful with what we introduced to them. But for the most part they were able to eat something similar to what we were eating at mealtimes. If I was making a rice dish I would save some unseasoned rice/noddles/etc. for them and by the time I was done cooking it was cool enough for them to eat. There are a lot of books out there about Sugar-free toddlers. How to cook without added sugars etc. I DO NOT advocate and am very against artificial sugars. I do not recommend using them at all to control sugar intake. My kids are allowed to have one small glass of soda for a special treat on occasion and our snacks are generally crackers, yogurt, fruit, etc. But I don't set any particular food group/treat off-limits (unless they are allergic to it) because I want them to learn that moderation is the way to go.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:23 AM   #8
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone for all the information!

The fruits/veg she has trouble with are bananas, peaches, carrots, and sweet potatoes. I've tried both the jarred stuff (in juice, not syrup) and freshly cooked with no difference in the rash.

I use organic sugar in cooking and don't limit it. We don't eat junk food at all (due to HFCS, we don't eat it) so any sugary stuff is usually homemade like cookies, pie, etc. I try not to make anything offlimit in the house but I had to draw the line with HFCS and aspartame they were causing too many problems.

I will try some of the new foods mentioned and wean her off the bottle and see how that goes. I've been letting her go up the stairs (w/me right behind) to increase her activity without restricting any dietary stuff, too She loves that.