Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
etenney
Registered Users
seller

Re: Does 'reaching for it' means she wants to eat it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ'sMama View Post
I don't think that reaching indicates a desire to try solids, but I think that some babies are ready earlier than 6 months, and show it in other ways. My son started staring at me while I was eating about a week before 5 months. At this point he was sitting on his own, and BFing every 2 hours or sooner, so I tried cereals and homemade food, and there was no looking back. After the first spoonful he opened up every time until his belly was full, and we soon got to the point where chair/bowl/spoon made him laugh and get excited. I don't agree with pushing cereal into a 4 month old, but there are some babes who are ready earlier than 6 months and I don't think we should make them wait.

If I have another, I'll watch for the same cues and try solids then, but if he/she isn't ready I won't push it. Also, I'll go right to homemade foods and skip the cereal, I think it was a waste of time. I liked making homemade food but once DS got a taste of solid table food, there was no looking back. By 9 months there was no way you could feed him anything mushy or off a spoon. Maybe he's just an advanced eater!

Advertisement

etenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #12
snugglebutter
Registered Users
seller

My favorite argument to this idea is "just because he will reach for a pen doesn't mean he's ready to write a letter".
S - happy to be homeschooling and expecting #5!
snugglebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
EBentley
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree. I did start feeding him at 6 months, but I don't like the rationale of "but I know my 4 month old wants it! He's so happy to see us eat and he's always trying to steal our food! I'm his mom and I know best!!! kisses!!" He tries to eat bugs, grass and bathwater, it doesn't mean he needs it.
EBentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #14
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Could one of you just call my MIL for me and clue her in?

Seriously, according to her my (barely) 4 mo is in dire need of pumpkin pie and cheeseburgers.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote