Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #11
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Re: What's the rule for climbing out of the crib?

we moved sara to a toddler bed at 17 months because she was climbing out. it took about a week to get her to stop getting out but you just have to be consistent and firm. sometimes it helps to sit outside their open door with a book ignoring them but being ready to put them back in bed a million times if need be. it's hard when they are little and don't have the powers of reason. but it's worth it once they realize what the bed is for.

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
aidensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the encouragement, it went a long way today...I just got him down for a nap now, he fell asleep with a bottle...something I don't like to use for nap, but I am hoping after a week or so of sleeping in the new bed set up he'll start to love it again.

I like your idea of a book outside his door...maybe I'll get caught up on my knitting
You may strive to be like them but seek not to make them like you."
-- Kahlil Gibran
aidensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #13
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is crib on lowest setting?
My DD never fell out of her toddler bed because we had the rails for it that came with the crib/toddler combo. Yes as soon as DD could climb out we switched it. She was much older though. She also sleeps all over her bed. I cant understand half the time how she is comfy lol.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #14
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS (now 2) started to climb out of his crib at 8months- and for about a week he slept on the floor- because I didn't know what to do- then my husband came up with a great idea... he modified our crib so the mattress was as low as it could possibly go, and added some boards just under the actual sides ( so he couldn't slip out the bottom)... it worked great- until he figured out how to climb out of that at 19months... so then we switched him to a toddler bed- that only lasted three nights because he figured out how to keep taking the mattress off the toddler bed- now he is in a twin size- though he doesn't like going to bed at all, so we first put an door knob cover on the inside of the door- worked wonderful until he figured out he could hang on it and it would break off... so we are back to terrible nightimes...
Good luck- I hope you can get your little one to love their sleep again!
TyAndCheyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyAndCheyMommy View Post
My DS (now 2) started to climb out of his crib at 8months- and for about a week he slept on the floor- because I didn't know what to do- then my husband came up with a great idea... he modified our crib so the mattress was as low as it could possibly go, and added some boards just under the actual sides ( so he couldn't slip out the bottom)... it worked great- until he figured out how to climb out of that at 19months... so then we switched him to a toddler bed- that only lasted three nights because he figured out how to keep taking the mattress off the toddler bed- now he is in a twin size- though he doesn't like going to bed at all, so we first put an door knob cover on the inside of the door- worked wonderful until he figured out he could hang on it and it would break off... so we are back to terrible nightimes...
Good luck- I hope you can get your little one to love their sleep again!
DS did this too. I ducted taped it on at the seams....works wonders!
Old 10-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #16
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

OP..... I am lucky that I haven't had my lil guy climb outta his crib yet.. however, I think if he did, I would most definitely get a crib tent. Its a dome shaped mesh like tent that you put on the top of the crib so that your LO cant climb outta the crib. I like that it is mesh so that is not like closed off like a box, the child feels the openness yet has to stay inside. The ties are on the outside where the child cant get to it--and easily release for you in case of emergency. I haven't yet tried them but I have had friends who say the work well. I would just have brought Mikey into my bed, but he actually prefers and sleeps better in his bed. I don't look forward to the day when he is not in his crib, I'm aiming for 5 or 6 yrs old....LOL Just kidding
Old 10-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #17
momto3girls
Registered Users
Formerly: tajsa
seller

My Mood:

We put my 18 month old dd in a toddler bed yesterday. Last night it took about an hour for her to go to sleep. We put a baby gate in her doorway, so she couldn't leave her room. At first she cried then she played. My dh finally went in there and rocked her until she was almost asleep. She did fall out of her bad at midnight. She was restless all night after that. She woke up about 8am this morning. Today at naptime she played in her room for about an hour and is now sleeping on her floor.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #18
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

The girls never tried to climb out of the crib, but by 16months none of them were in a crib either.

We put their mattress on the floor, at first we'd lay down with them to sleep but after a couple of weeks we didn't do that anymore.

We never used toddler beds, after the mattress they went straight to a single or double bed with a stool to get on & off if they couldn't do it themselves.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #19
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have not needed it yet, but I have a crib tent. I hope it works when my 16 month old figures out how to climb out of the crib! Good luck! I am reading to get informed on the toddler bed transition too! Thanks
Old 10-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #20
5babyz4me
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelzbird View Post
I have not needed it yet, but I have a crib tent. I hope it works when my 16 month old figures out how to climb out of the crib! Good luck! I am reading to get informed on the toddler bed transition too! Thanks
Out of 4 children so far I had to use this with when my 3 yod was younger. It's a long story but we couldn't afford a toddler bed and we wasn't ready for the big boy bed (it's a bunk bed under his brother.) So I had keep him in prison (urgh, I hate my image.) Some people say they figure out the zipper too easily but my Houdini never did. I have it put back if I need it for my 20 mod as well. I can't move him to a big boy bed yet because my 3 yod can't get on the top bunk of the bed yet. We're moving my oldest ds to another bed (although that would be stupid to do if I needed it for the toddler. Duh!!! I hate when I have those thoughts in the middle of the night.) Anyway, my oldest did have to move to a big boy bed pretty early on because I had surgery when he was 16 mod and couldn't lift him up. My mom bought him a toddler bed at the time and we gated him room so he didn't get out at night and hurt himself. He's pretty docile though so I didn't worry too much. Just baby proofed his room. He's the only one that has moved that early. Call me lazy but I HATE bedtime fights and feel like it's easier to move a child when they are between 2 1/2 and 3 yod. But we've had to do it so it is possible. I have had a baby due about the time it's been time to move my toddlers at young ages and I refuse to do that even more.

wife to Chris (13 years)
mom of Jenny(10), Josh(8), Ally(7), Andrew(4), Josiah(2), Ashley (1), Baby Bean EDD May 2010
5babyz4me is offline   Reply With Quote