Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Talking My 6 yo is waaaay too inquisitive....

The other night after watching the presidential debate my 6 year old was asking lots of questions so we got out our "Encyclopedia of US Presidents" book. He wanted to know all about the first president. I began reading some of the facts to him and came to the part about his stepchildren. Well then he wanted to know what "step children" meant. So I told him that it meant his wife had children from someone else before she married him... so then he asked "How did she have kids if she wasn't married?" I told him she may have been married to someone else, or she may have just had children out of wed-lock. so then he says "So God can make people that are not married have babies too??? Why?" So then we had to get into the "free will" talk and that God doesn't "make" people have babies! So of course he then wants to know "So, how do people make babies by their self?"

Why oh why do I insist on fostering an atmosphere of questions and learning!?!

I tried to keep everything age appropriate and give him truthful answers to his questions without too much information... but I still think he probably knows waaaaay too much for a 6 year old now
At least he is home schooled so he does not have access to mass amounts of children that he can share his new info with. I can only imagine the phone calls from parents that could initiate

Advertisement

JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
kkrpata
Registered Users

Re: My 6 yo is waaaay too inquisitive....

LOL! Poor mama! My four year old niece is a "why" child also.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
earthmamastyle
Registered Users
Formerly: barbaramommyof2
seller

My Mood:

i support you mama! it's best to be vague but honest in my opinion. i don't even wanna share what my mama told me as a young babe
earthmamastyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
dogmom327
Registered Users
seller

I'm torn...part of me is looking forward to that stage and part of me is dreading it
Old 10-20-2008, 12:56 AM   #5
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:

Don't be horrified. Parents that have a problem with correctly informed children won't change that opinion when their kids are older. They'd rather have ill-informed teens than answer questions honestly. If your six-year old is ready to ask, he's ready to know the answer.