Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
? for quiverfull Moms

Hi Mamas! I understand that quiverfull is letting God choose. I am just curious as to the Biblical basis for no birth control. Can someone show me?

Advertisement

Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
Ashleybelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ? for quiverfull Moms

I'm not sure what "quiverful" means? But I do understand the Biblical opposition to birth control, and the idea of allowing God to plan the size of your family. Is that what you mean?

If so here, you go

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/contraception.html

***eta: I had posted and quoted what this website said, but I decided against it because of the frequent use of anatomical terms... I don't know if that's against DS rules, and I don't want to offend anybody. So if you want to read the full content please just click the link There's nothing "bad" per se, I just don't know how much in detail we're allowed to talk about things on here, kwim?

http://www.catholic.com/library/birth_control.asp

Quote:
Scripture

Is contraception a modern invention? Hardly! Birth control has been around for millennia. Scrolls found in Egypt, dating to 1900 B.C., describe ancient methods of birth control that were later practiced in the Roman empire during the apostolic age. Wool that absorbed sperm, poisons that fumigated the uterus, potions, and other methods were used to prevent conception. In some centuries, even condoms were used (though made out of animal skin rather than latex).

The Bible mentions at least one form of contraception specifically and condemns it. Coitus interruptus, was used by Onan to avoid fulfilling his duty according to the ancient Jewish law of fathering children for one’s dead brother. "Judah said to Onan, ‘Go in to your brother’s wife, and perform the duty of a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your brother.’ But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so when he went in to his brother’s wife he spilled the semen on the ground, lest he should give offspring to his brother. And what he did was displeasing in the sight of the Lord, and he slew him also" (Gen. 38:8–10).

The biblical penalty for not giving your brother’s widow children was public humiliation, not death (Deut. 25:7–10). But Onan received death as punishment for his crime. This means his crime was more than simply not fulfilling the duty of a brother-in-law. He lost his life because he violated natural law, as Jewish and Christian commentators have always understood. For this reason, certain forms of contraception have historically been known as "Onanism," after the man who practiced it, just as homosexuality has historically been known as "Sodomy," after the men of Sodom, who practiced that vice (cf. Gen. 19).

Contraception was so far outside the biblical mindset and so obviously wrong that it did not need the frequent condemnations other sins did. Scripture condemns the practice when it mentions it. Once a moral principle has been established in the Bible, every possible application of it need not be mentioned. For example, the general principle that theft is wrong was clearly established in Scripture; but there’s no need to provide an exhaustive list of every kind of theft. Similarly, since the principle that contraception is wrong has been established by being condemned when it’s mentioned in the Bible, every particular form of contraception does not need to be dealt with in Scripture in order for us to see that it is condemned.

Last edited by Ashleybelle; 10-19-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Ashleybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:32 AM   #3
5babyz4me
Registered Users

I believe that most people who are quiverfull look to Psalm 127:3-5 as their basis for that answer. Children are a blessing from the Lord and blessed in the man whose quiver is full of arrows. I think some one else might be better qualified to answer this than I am. We have 6 children (almost) but have decided that we're done now. My body can't handle anymore pregnancies. We are open to adoption if the Lord calls us to that. My dh would not consider himself quiverfull. I probably would more though.

wife to Chris (13 years)
mom of Jenny(10), Josh(8), Ally(7), Andrew(4), Josiah(2), Ashley (1), Baby Bean EDD May 2010
5babyz4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:07 AM   #4
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Thanks Mamas!
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:16 AM   #5
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5babyz4me View Post
I believe that most people who are quiverfull look to Psalm 127:3-5 as their basis for that answer. Children are a blessing from the Lord and blessed in the man whose quiver is full of arrows. I think some one else might be better qualified to answer this than I am. We have 6 children (almost) but have decided that we're done now. My body can't handle anymore pregnancies. We are open to adoption if the Lord calls us to that. My dh would not consider himself quiverfull. I probably would more though.

While we were never quiverfull, we were definately open to life (the catholic term versus quiverfull being a more prodominantly protestant term). And we no longer are for similar reasons.

I believe the actual teaching is not only based off the Bible, but was kind of spawned off the book by Rick Hess titled *Quiverfull*

here is the wikpedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiverfull

I read it years ago, its a compelling read, and to each their own, but dh and I have since found...we have limits

GL!
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote