Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
petuniajo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Fleece vs. Microfleece vs. Microfiber

Hi ladies!

I'm looking to make some doublers/liners for cheap and picked up some fleece and microfleece this weekend at JoAnn fabric. Do these work equally well at wicking the moisture away from baby's bum? Or should I just use the microfleece for the liners and save the regular fleece for something else?

Also, with microfiber--I've read of ladies going to the auto dept at just buying microfiber there. So I did just that this weekend! But they had a lot of options and I'm not sure if I got the right stuff. I picked up a 5-pk of microfiber TOWELS. Does this sound ok? I know it can't go against baby's bum, so I'm planning on sewing a layer in between flannel. What do you think?

TIA for answering a newbie's questions!

~Casey

Advertisement

petuniajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Mom of 3 Boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fleece vs. Microfleece vs. Microfiber

I have about the same ? . My fb just aren't as soft as they use to be and wanted to put something against my son skin a little softer.
Mom of 3 Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
selinajean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Any 100% polyester fleece will work as a liner. Microfleece is thinner so is less bulky which is nice. The thicker alpine fleece works really well as longies or a soaker.

The microfibre towels will be just fine. They absorb a ton and can take a long time to dry if sewn into a diaper. Instead, you can sew a sleeve or pouch out of flannel or microfleece and stuff the towel in there then lay it in the diaper. Easier to wash and dry.

NickNaks - Become a Fan on Facebook for news and updates.
Grand Opening coming soon! Use earlybird20 for 20% off until the grand opening bash!
Also on dotCA!
selinajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
jessielove
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by selinajean View Post
Any 100% polyester fleece will work as a liner.
IME, regular fleece does not work well as a liner because it repels liquid instead of wicking it away, while microfleece allows wicking which is what makes it ideal as an inner. Fleece works great for longies and soakers though.

Microfiber sandwiched with flannel will be fine. That's what I used for pocket stuffers and it did great. Microfiber doesn't actually absorb, but it holds the liquid and is able to hold more than most natural fibers. It was the only thing that worked with my toddler.

Monkey Dance::Store Blog::Family Blog
jessielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
mommy2alex2004
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by petuniajo View Post
Hi ladies!

I'm looking to make some doublers/liners for cheap and picked up some fleece and microfleece this weekend at JoAnn fabric. Do these work equally well at wicking the moisture away from baby's bum? Or should I just use the microfleece for the liners and save the regular fleece for something else?

Also, with microfiber--I've read of ladies going to the auto dept at just buying microfiber there. So I did just that this weekend! But they had a lot of options and I'm not sure if I got the right stuff. I picked up a 5-pk of microfiber TOWELS. Does this sound ok? I know it can't go against baby's bum, so I'm planning on sewing a layer in between flannel. What do you think?

TIA for answering a newbie's questions!

~Casey
I used the microfleece from Wal mart when I made liners for DS a few years back and we still use them for DD occasionally now. They worked fine though I didn't use with with microfiber towels as a doubler, but the microfleece worked. I think regular fleece would probably be too thick and may cause trouble...not positive though.

As for the towels, they will probably be fine as long as you have the fleece between the microfiber and the baby. We have some mf towels I used ages ago as inserts but always had to have at least two since one was never enough. I would wash them a few times before sewing them up though.
Ask me how!
mommy2alex2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
selinajean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielove View Post
IME, regular fleece does not work well as a liner because it repels liquid instead of wicking it away, while microfleece allows wicking which is what makes it ideal as an inner. Fleece works great for longies and soakers though.

Microfiber sandwiched with flannel will be fine. That's what I used for pocket stuffers and it did great. Microfiber doesn't actually absorb, but it holds the liquid and is able to hold more than most natural fibers. It was the only thing that worked with my toddler.

The only fleece that I have ever used as an added liner is regular old fleece, as our fabric store did not have microfleece until their renos a few weeks back. It works just fine. I have never had issues with repelling and it is always dry to the touch. The stuff that I have is not quite as thick as a polar fleece, but way thicker than microfleece.

And, I am also just wondering what the difference btwn absorbing and holding liquid is? Wouldn't it be the same in the diapering world?

Grand Opening coming soon! Use earlybird20 for 20% off until the grand opening bash!
Also on dotCA!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
junglegirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by selinajean View Post
And, I am also just wondering what the difference btwn absorbing and holding liquid is? Wouldn't it be the same in the diapering world?
I thought the same thing...

Destashing!! GMs, BSRBs, SOS, BB, Flips, BGs and Thirsties Duos, and Panda Tushies PFs. Thanks for looking. I need to get these sold and out of the house!
junglegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
jessielove
Registered Users

It's semantics, but some people care about the difference. Some don't.

I've never been able to use regular fleece ~ except for the very thin, cheap fleece from WalMart ~ as a liner. YMMV.

Monkey Dance::Store Blog::Family Blog
jessielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

I too just used regular old fleece. We were having problems with bad diaper rashes and I needed something to use as a barrier between my DD's rash cream coated bum and her diapers. Even with all the diaper cream build up on the fleece, it never caused a leak!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
selinajean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielove View Post
It's semantics, but some people care about the difference. Some don't.

I've never been able to use regular fleece ~ except for the very thin, cheap fleece from WalMart ~ as a liner. YMMV.

No, seriously. I wasn't meaning to be cheeky. I really want to know what the difference btwn absorbing and holding liquid is in reference to microfibre. Does it make it function differently than say bamboo? I was looking for an answer, not trying to be snide.

And what does YMMV stand for? I am clueless with acronyms.

Also on dotCA!