Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2006, 12:53 AM   #1
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

Breastfed baby, gas or constipation?

I am asking this for a friend...Her baby gets gas so bad and is always fussy. He is breastfed but still gets it bad. She has been noticing he has only been pooping about once every 2 days now. He seems to struggle with movement too. He is about 2 months now. What do you think the issue is? Is it gas in his tummy or he is constipated? I thought it was hard for breastfed babies to get constipated. She has changed for eating habits but nothing is working. She is going to die without sleep soon!

we tried gas drops too....he had a hyernia when born and has surgery about 3 weeks ago keep in mind.

Advertisement

Last edited by tarah1218; 12-07-2006 at 12:55 AM.
tarah1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfed baby, gas or constipation?

bf babies do not get constipated. constipation in an infant is hard, dry stools, which i assume is not what he is having. i bet its gas. if the drops aren't working have her try bicycling his legs, tummy massage in a circular motion. maybe try a warm rice bag on his tummy. i assume she's sure that it isn't related to the surgery? that would actually be my first thought. i sure hope she is able to figure it out and get that little guy some comfort and that mama some sleep!!
Old 12-07-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
MommaRalph
Registered Users
seller

Re: Breastfed baby, gas or constipation?

My DD was fussy and (I thought gassy) almost all the time. I eventually saw a doc who is an expert in BFing. I think with my DD at least that what made her cry was something called gastrocolic reflex - not as bad as it sounds, it's just the cramping she felt when having a BM. It's not unusual at all for a BFd baby to go up to 10 days without a BM! Here's a document she gave me:

If you can't see it, click on a couple of links. I think it will take you there.

My new blog! www.mommaralph.blogspot.com
MommaRalph is offline   Reply With Quote