Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
pingumel

Question nursing pads for sore nipples?

what are the best nursing pads for sore nipples? a friend of mine is contemplating some wool pads, because she hears that the lanolin in the wool will help. but won't the wool be scratchy?

they have to be thin, too, she says. absorbency isn't so much of an issue, because she's not a heavy leaker.

feel free to me

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: nursing pads for sore nipples?

I make nursing pads and have found that organic velour or bamboo velour backed in felted wool provides the best protection and is the softest on sore nipples.

When DD was born at 34 weeks, her mouth was tiny and she had an AWFUL latch that made me blister on my left side. The only thing that I could stand touching them was the OV pads.

I'd be happy to make her a couple pairs if you are interested.
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
jee_jee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

lana wool pads are awesome and not scratchy at all. also silk lined nursing pads have a healing property and you can buy those from www.amazpadz.com, shes awesome with customer service and has quick turn around time if none are in stock.
happy healing!
jee_jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Before I knew about the reusable world of cloth, I used the lanolin coated disposable pads. They arent thin, but were comfortable. I dont wear pads during the day now, but if I were in here situation I would use regular thin pads and a nice nipple butter. I never really liked plain lanolin. I have something like THIS from EMAB, and I love it. (great for lip balm too)
Old 11-27-2006, 07:15 AM   #5
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

I've used Avent disposable nursing pads for over a year until a friend recently gave me some Lana wool nursing pads. I put them on and haven't taken them off since, lol. I LOVE them!!! I highly recommend them to anyone!! They dont feel scratchy at all, they made the disposable ones feel like sandpaper in comparison though. I'm interested in trying the silk nursing pads and OV too, I think Swaddlebees makes some that are 3 pair for like $10, not bad at all.
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
pingumel

has anyone tried the luxe nursing pads?
can anyone comment on the thinness of any of these wool pads?
do you handwash them or do you machine wash them?
(i've only tried cotton ones, never wool )
Old 11-27-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

You handwash the wool ones.
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:18 PM   #8
MommaRalph
Registered Users
seller

I was just gonna post that I my Luxe nursing pads! I have 2 pairs! Raw silk and wool and a cashmere pair. She says they're not good for heavy leakers and I'm not heavy so I love 'em. The cashmere are sooooooo soft (although I didn't use them in the early sore time) and I used the raw silk/wool when I had thrush and my nipples were dry, sore and itchy (TMI). I HIGHLY recommend these nursing pads and they are the most discreet I have ever tried. I'm just finishing up my 2nd year of BFing so I've tried MANY kinds! Buy some Luxe nursing pads! I'll be giving them as presents to any nursing moms I know - that and a Milkband!

ETA: I handwash just cuz it's quite easy but you can machine wash the cashmere IIRC.

My new blog! www.mommaralph.blogspot.com
MommaRalph is offline   Reply With Quote