Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you wish you knew then? CDing a newborn

Our stash is GMD orange edged and yellow edged (a dozen each), 20 NB mutts, 25 OS 3sr Mutts (some new, some GN ones from DD), 2 NB BizzyBHives, 4 pairs of nb/sm longies (2 interlock, 2 knit), 4 interlock soakers (nb/sm). And some OS dipes from Maddie.

Advertisement

Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #12
DieselMonkey
Registered Users

My Mood:

i wish i'd known that vaseline causes repelling. i knew it, but it didn't sink into my prego/post-partum brain till i realized we were having repelling issues.
DieselMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #13
MandyLee
Registered Users
seller

I wish I would've known that fitteds and covers (PUL or wool soakers) are pretty bulky on a newborn. I don't know why it bothered me so much, but I hated my teeny tiny baby in a huge bulky diaper. They spend so much time lying down, and she just looked uncomfortable. Sometimes her diaper was so bulky that her back was arched. We use prefolds and fitteds exclusively now, but XS Very Baby AIO's were my favorite back them. They were such a perfect fit. If I was CDing a newborn now, my stash would be VB AIO's (for under clothes) and prefolds/fitteds with wool longies/shorties.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #14
lauramaynot
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wish I had been prepared for anything I was prepared for the cord, I was prepared for the circ, I was prepared for the tar poo...I wasn't prepared that his cord fell off a bit early and what was left was gooey and stuck to diapers, I wasn't prepared for a bad bout with yeast from the get go, I wasn't prepared for DS to loose weight so rapidly the first week or gain it back plus some so rapidly the second, I wasn't prepared that on the third day sleep deprivation would hit me like a ton of bricks and I would be so tired and the third day was the day I ran out of diapers. I know you don't want to use them, (I said everyday I wasn't going to use sposies AT ALL) but if there is a next time I will have a small pack of sposies on hand and will take all the freebies home from the hospital.
Samuel Sluder 16 Sarah Rose 14 Adam Frank 13 Eliza Gray 6 Benjamin Elias 4 Alice Catherine 1 And #7 coming Aug 2013
lauramaynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #15
flyerkid
Registered Users

My Mood:

flyerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #16
arizonacolbys
Registered Users

All of our baby girl's meconium was long gone by the time we left the hospital, especially since I ended up with a c-section & was there a bit longer. I also originally thought I would use my CD's the minute I got home, but with a c-section recovery & so many other things to deal with being a first time mom, I was happy to have the hospital sposies & some sposies from my baby shower for that first week or two home. She's 5 weeks today & I'm just to the point of trying to more exclusively use CD's. Try to just go with the flow at the beginning.
arizonacolbys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #17
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

JELLYROLL.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #18
Youngatheart
Registered Users
seller

My first grandson was born last Saturday (Oct 18) and I've had a ball diapering and dressing him. (He was 8 lbs even and 22 inches long)

For us, the meconium didn't stain at all and I did nothing extra to my wash routine. What I did do for his bottom was to put a little coconut oil on it until the meconium passed...it made it super easy to clean him during changes.

Our favorite diaper the first five days were preemie prefolds...we used the bikini-twist and folded it down an inch or two in front so it would fit under his umbilical cord. It was cute, trim, and the only thing that really fit him. As soon as his cord fell off and he began wetting too much for the preemies, we started using GMD orange edges. They're a good fit and very absorbent...it just doesn't get any easier than this.

Our favorite in clothing is a merino wool sleep-sack (recycled sweater) It's sewn closed at the bottom and has a long zipper in front...makes all those diaper changes super quick and easy...no cover needed, no water-proof pad under him during changes, no socks or footies to fall off, and no longies to have to take completely on and off each time. Just unzip, change, and zip back up!

And since wool breathes, the sleep-sack also had the benefit of helping keep his cord dry and clean. We didn't use anything on it at all and actually bathed him on day three (used a blow-dryer afterwards to completely dry it). I was surprised to see the cord was gone on day four. By the fifth day there was no yellow on his belly button at all.

I wish I had known how much we would love sleep-sacks with our prefolds. That's pretty much what we reach for first...I'm having to work quickly to sew more of them for both grandkids now

Good luck with the arrival of your LO

Flat/Prefold-loving Grandma to five beautiful LOs
!!! I'm so excited...Emma Grace is here...born Nov. 26, 2014 !!!
!!! Welcome Luke David(10/18/08) & Loriana Malise(10/21/08) !!!
Patiently waiting for future grandbabies
Youngatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:41 PM   #19
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

I wish I would have invested a little bit more on better diapers when dd was a newborn. I bought cheap crappy dipes and no matter how I tried to avoid them rubbing on her umbilical stump, it always did and it got infected . I'm going to buy dipes w/ the snap downs next time like kissluv 0
Old 10-24-2008, 10:59 PM   #20
doularosemary
Registered Users

That the fluffy washcloths I bought for wipes would make excellent newborn diapers, and that pins are not that scary after all.

doularosemary is offline   Reply With Quote