Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
katzmark06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
After nap crying...

My 2 year old A wakes up sobbing about 1/2 the times he takes a nap. He has been doing it for about a year. Not just crying but sobbing for 1-2 hours sometimes more.. NOTHING makes him stop, NOTHING.. He will not even respond to me when I try to talk to him or offer comfort (food, water, cuddling, etc).

It makes me NUTS~

Today he cried for about an hour but only stopped when I put him in a cool shower.

Does anyone else have a child that does this? Any tips?

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
amyruth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: After nap crying...

Wow I don't know. My boys are always pretty happy after they wake up! I hope someone has some insight. What does your Ped say?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

Does it seem like he still needs the nap? My dd pretty much gave up naps at 2...we'd get her to take them sometimes but I remember her being out of sorts after the naps too. Would it work to try eliminating the nap for a "rest time" and then earlier bed time?? Just thinking out loud here...
Old 10-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
earthmamastyle
Registered Users
Formerly: barbaramommyof2
seller

My Mood:

oh my mama that sounds so stressful!!
earthmamastyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
mbsr76
Registered Users

That does sound very stressful. It's the worst when they're crying and no matter what you do they just can't be consoled.

My son does often cry after a nap, he just wakes up crabby sometimes but I can almost always comfort him with rocking or snuggling or a snack or something. I don't know what I would do if he just cried and cried like that Poor little guy.
mbsr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YEP! That was us up until about 4 months ago. He would wake up at least 3 times a week crying and totally inconsolable! I tried putting on a video, offering snacks, drinks, cuddling. Most of the time nothing worked! Once in a while he'd get distracted by the video but I had to sit there holding him and I wouldn't dare move or talk or try to put him down or it might start again. Then when the weather got nice I started suggesting a walk and that worked sometimes- I'd stick him in the stroller with a drink and a snack and we'd take a walk. By the time we got home he was in a great mood. My son also loves sweets so I knew if it went on too long and I was totally at the end of my rope- I would offer him a treat like an ice pop or lollipop (I got the vitamin C pops at the pharmacy so at least I felt like he was getting something good with his sugar- LOL) That would always improve his mood dramatically.

If he was with anyone else- it was horrible- he'd wake up like that at daycare and they'd just have to let him cry. I understood since I've lived through it and know there isn't much you can do! My mom would get so upset seeing him so upset and not being able to comfort him.

I totally know what you are going through! Now he is 3 and rarely naps (although we still have rest time every day.) So that H3LL is over! LOL
Old 10-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son doesn't do it on a regular basis, but does sometimes do this. He just turned 3. I find that I can almost predict when it will happen. His usually happen when he is overtired and not getting enough sleep for whatever reason, so when he wakes up from his nap, he's still tired and he cries and cries and screams and thrashes. It horrible. It happens in the middle of the night sometimes too. So, if he didn't get enough sleep the night before or he missed his nap the day before and has been getting less sleep the last couple days so is overtired, it will happen. Maybe he isn't getting quite enough sleep?? You could try getting him down for his nap ealier? When it happens to my son, we focus on making sure he gets all his sleep for the next few days and it helps a lot. If he is unresponsive to you and it's happening like 45-60 minutes after he goes to sleep, it sounds like night terrors at nap time. Night terrors aren't nightmares lor scary ike it sounds and they don't hurt. My son gets them sometimes (also when he is overtired). It's really freaky to look into his eyes when he is having them. They are completey blank and he's "not there" even though his eyes are clearly open. Maybe Google them.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
clechatelier
Registered Users

My Mood:

Occasionally DD will wake up from naps, and sometimes first thing in the morning, in a "bad mood" as I call it....fussy, crying, etc. I just know its because she didn't sleep enough. I usually can't make her go right back down, but I try anyway. We try warm milk and it works...some of the time.

That probably wasn't super helpful but !
Old 10-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When DD wakes up crying it is always because she needs more sleep. Sometimes I have succeeded in getting her to lay right back down for a longer nap. Sometimes not. When I can't get her back down, it is rough. I just keep trying different things until something works. It is different every time what seems to work.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
ttachuk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does he like baths/showers? Whenever my DD wakes up like that (almost 1/2 the time also) I put her in the shower with me. I read somewhere "when you have a crab, put it in water. My mom also swears that was her answer whenever I was a grump...and it still works for me to this day.