Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #11
LilyGrace
Registered Users

Re: temper temper temper

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan1979 View Post
This is exactly how I handle tempertantrums as well. I think rocking and holding, IMO, just belittles them. If I'm angry about something and instead of listening someone tried to 'calm' me...I'd bite there head off! I think they learn more about self when they calm themselves down and the get rewarded (cuddled) for that, not for the tantrum itself.
How does offering comfort belittle a child? It is very possible to be empathetic and care about how a child feels, leading them to calm down. Just knowing someone cares about your feelings makes a HUGE difference in how we react.

I don't get how that is belittling. It doesn't seem disparaging at all.

And love isn't a reward. Why should it be?

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
Beaker
Registered Users
seller

I recommend the book "happiest baby on the block" it really helped us!
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
Bot Girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally wouldn't put him in his crib - I wouldn't want him to associate bad feeling with his place of rest.

We have a time out rug in our home where DD can pitch her fit, then come talk to me when she's ready. I think kids just need some time to process things, and can't control their emotions yet.
Bot Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #14
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

(((HUGS))) DD is the same way right now. I just keep telling myself it is a phase.

I let her pitch her fit, and just walk away. It isn't fun when no one is watching.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #15
clechatelier
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm not an experienced momma to offer advice, but DD (15 months) has terrible tempers too. Sometimes they start when I'm carrying her- she'll arch her back and I about drop her! At times she'll hit me in the face too. DH and I haven't quite decided what direction we're going to take with her discipline-wise, so I usually just let her wind down on her own without making a big fuss. She's never really hurt herself in the process. I'm 7 months preggo and it can be SUCH a strain, so I just leave the room for a minute to calm down when I'm really frazzled. Luckily these only happen when she's very frustrated from being hungry, tired, or needing a change.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #16
ttachuk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have massive tantrums here also- from both my 3.5 year old and my 18 month old. I expect my 3.5 year old to use her words rather than hitting and screaming, and we use time-outs (cool-downs) and removal of privilages for her.

For DS it is a totally different story- he doesn't have the words to express himself so we usually let him have his tantrum. I try to give him words. For example I will say "Owen is angry...Owen wants a cookie but Mommy says no". He seems to realize that I understand him and he calms down- sometimes. Otherwise I just ignore it and then comfort him when the storm passes.