Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #21
uniquieheart
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Mommies of Preemies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
Know what I mean. It took me forever to figure out what people were saying when I first came here.
HAHA thanks!! must be something new. Ive been an online chatter since i as 15..never heard of that one hahahah thanks :P

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #22
kadiera
Registered Users

My Mood:

DS was a 27 weeker and is (today!) 4 months old/1 month adjusted, and still in the NICU with chronic lung disease/BPD/whatever they want to call it this week. It's likely to be a while before we get him home, since he's finally on nasal cannula only, but still at 1.5 liters of flow (they want him down to like 1/8 of a liter to come home. sigh.)

He had both a PDA and a VSD - PDA ended up being fixed surgically, the VSA is not expected to be a problem.

He just started to learn to feed on his own this weekend - the docs are terrified based on his respiratory history, but the nurses, the LC, the OT/PT folks, and me all knew he'd do just fine (and honestly, he actually breathes *better* when BF). So, hopefully we'll be working up to bottles this week when they realize he's not aspirating and choking and having serioius issues keeping his O2 saturation up.

Last edited by kadiera; 10-13-2008 at 09:45 AM.
kadiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:48 PM   #23
uniquieheart
Registered Users

My Mood:
Smile Re: Mommies of Preemies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadiera View Post
DS was a 27 weeker and is (today!) 4 months old/1 month adjusted, and still in the NICU with chronic lung disease/BPD/whatever they want to call it this week. It's likely to be a while before we get him home, since he's finally on nasal cannula only, but still at 1.5 liters of flow (they want him down to like 1/8 of a liter to come home. sigh.)

He had both a PDA and a VSD - PDA ended up being fixed surgically, the VSA is not expected to be a problem.

He just started to learn to feed on his own this weekend - the docs are terrified based on his respiratory history, but the nurses, the LC, the OT/PT folks, and me all knew he'd do just fine (and honestly, he actually breathes *better* when BF). So, hopefully we'll be working up to bottles this week when they realize he's not aspirating and choking and having serioius issues keeping his O2 saturation up.

Oh im sorry
duncan has a chronic lung disease, & many vsd's and come kinda blockage in his heart they didnt know he has untill they opened him up in september to fix the holes and found they couldnt. they only went to surgery then because he went into heart failure.
Its hard for kids with chronic lung disease, to start that feeding when duncan came home they were very worried "Early intervation" about his eatting because if feed him, and every time at least once a day he would choak while eating and cause himself to vomit. and if i moved him at all after eating he'd vomit. they thought he might have had reflux. but didnt know..no test done. in the NICU though, they did suck bad things that now i see looking back maybe they made it all much worse by trying to FORCE him to get better to quickly and send him home because "we" were their nightmare problem because they gave him MRSA... He started eating by tube no problem and when they started him on the bottle, the SUPER slow nipple and a few nurses kept trying to SWITCH him to the normal flow for a newborn nipple he wasnt ready! and theyd put it in his mouth and food would just pour out of his face. theyd tell me " oh hes just still learning to eat, his suck and swallow is great" But im going.....Okay hes suppose to eat all this food because his heart is working SO hard to keep him alive and hes breathing SOOO heavy...HOW can drowning him in food make him get bigger? and hed choak and vomit. they took him off his oxygen very slow. he was on room flow air for about a month., as if he didnt need it at all. and they took his feeding tube out, he was happy about that. In september we had to rush him to the ER because he was weezing turned out to be heart failure, but they put a feeding tube in...oh he was SOO pissed about that. :P

I hope your little one gets well soon!
Ill think of him.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:14 AM   #24
snangel
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have 1. My ds2 was a 32 weeker. He had a ASD. His was surgically repaired. His older brother also had the same heart defect and he was a 42 weeker. My youngest son though born at term has had many many medical "complications"
My ds2 had severe GERD, I think that was the worst thing, was fighting that and feeding tubes. He still takes Zantec for it, and he is 4, but he is doing well otherwise, a bit behind developmentally, but yah, he's good now, and the horrors of NICU are thankfully behind us.
Welcome to DS BTW.