Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Flu Mist Question

Ive lost all of my links, but I just seen a sticky thread with a bunch of links that I need to take a look at but in the meantime I wanted to ask in case I can't find it.

My little sister got the Flu Mist this past Thursday. My kids are not vaccinated so I told my mom that she can't come around my kids. We were told by their doc that she should stay away for about a week.
Well what about my mother? Does she have to stay away too? Obviously my little sister lives with her but my mom is suppose to watch my kids tomorrow and I completely forgot about her being exposed to it.

feel kind of stupid asking, but...
My kids are not in school so I am not really educated as much as I could be about school and vax's, but how can my sister go to school immediately after getting a live virus put in to her? Granted its the parents responsibility to vax (or take the risk of your child being exposed if they are not). but with it being a live virus isn't it a big risk to anyone she comes in contact with?

mama to Malikai (10), Tiler (9), Bennett (7), Jamison (5), Phoenix (3), Gage (9m)
Independent Consultant for Jamberry Nails
serena22304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Flu Mist Question

The biggest risk is to immunocompromise individuals. However, I would not knowingly expose my children to someone who had the flumist for 2-3 weeks. The vaccine can shed for up to 21 days (mean is 7.6days).
Mom to (11.5), (5) and (3)
Proud to be a breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, no-vaxing, intactivist and Certified Canadian Child Restraint Systems Technician

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I think they can go to school since its assumed most other children at school are getting the mist too. At least, that's what I always assumed!
Chelsea: Wife to my French beau and best friend Maman to our feisty daughter 2.5 years and our son 13 months
clechatelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

*sigh* One reason I hate live virus vaccines even more than the usual sort. What you have to remember though is that TONS of people will be receiving FluMist. Which means, unless you plan on keeping your kids home for the entire flu season, they'll be exposed countless times. There's not much you can do other than cuss a bit and get on with usual life.
Tiffany, Mama to the incredible JM (3.25.06) , NC (7.28.10) and EH (9.23.13)
We don't vaccinate, we kept our sons intact, we use cloth diapers, we co-sleep, we extended RF, we breastfeed, but we watch too much tv and I totally dig plastic! Everyone has their issues, lol.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
No Longer Here
My Mood:

GL mama that stinks. My kids are in preschool two days a week and "most" have a flu shot.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote