Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Croup ?

This is the third time DS has had it and the 2nd time within two weeks. He was on a steriod two weeks ago, and yest it came back worse. He started gasping for air last night and couldnt break the cough. We ended up in the ER till 4am on breathing treatments and a shot, and they didnt want him to leave till he was getting atleast 97% H2O. So Here is my questions

Once they get croup(last year was the first time he was admitted into childrens) will they always get croup every time they get sick?

Advertisement

momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
meghann8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Croup ?

I don't think that just getting croup once means they'll always get it, but I do think that kids who get it bad tend to get it more easily than other kids. I think it usually means there's an underlying issue, that their respiratory system doesn't handle viruses as well as a normal child's.

My dd Lindsay is ours that always gets hit bad. She gets so bad she needs steroids at least once every winter. She got RSV as a baby though, and now has what they are thinking is cough variant asthma, so I know that is all related.
meghann8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

hmm..DS got RSV at two weeks and it was BAD. He was on a nebulizer taking treatments every few hours. Could this be the same as your dd? The dr havnt really linked a reason he gets soooo sick but he tends to get sick more easily than other children.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
meghann8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It most definitely could be that. Studies have shown that RSV raises the chances of the child having asthma or other breathing issues.

meghann8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

he has an apt tom so i am def going to bring it up
Old 10-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
Lovemy4guys
Registered Users

My Mood:

NAK- DS#1 had it 3 yrs ago this month, and that was it. Think th Dr. said he might get it when he picked up colds in thed future, but thankfully he's not had it since.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
mellofishy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hope your Dr. appt. goes ok. My DS had croup last year...no fun at all. Poor little thing. Hope he continues to improve.
mellofishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

My ds is on round 2 of croup this "fall" as well. He also had rsv every year and battled pneumonia for 6 months straight (from 5 months to 11 months). He has been in and out of the hospital more than any kid I know.

After going to an immunologist we learned that he does not produce enough IGA. Most people's IGA is between 100 and 450. Qamerins IGA is a 3. There is nothing that they can do to fix it however, but to be extra careful. What can present as a common cold in most kids will hit him with pneumonia within hours.

We do get the synagis shot all winter long to help his lungs. He is on probiotics constantly and basically does not have a immune system.

Something you might ask to be tested for if your LO gets sick A LOT especially in the cooler months. I can't even say cold months since he just had croup and we finally got less than 100 degrees here in Texas. Complete blood panel is what showed his IGA.

Now I am off to go give him another breathing treatment. Poor kid cant sleep without hacking a lung.
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

My third child got croup as an 8 month old baby and then again at 14 months old. He's over 3.5 years old now and hasn't had it anymore, but every time he catches a cold with a cough, it sounds like a croup-y cough.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leininger27 View Post
My ds is on round 2 of croup this "fall" as well. He also had rsv every year and battled pneumonia for 6 months straight (from 5 months to 11 months). He has been in and out of the hospital more than any kid I know.

After going to an immunologist we learned that he does not produce enough IGA. Most people's IGA is between 100 and 450. Qamerins IGA is a 3. There is nothing that they can do to fix it however, but to be extra careful. What can present as a common cold in most kids will hit him with pneumonia within hours.

We do get the synagis shot all winter long to help his lungs. He is on probiotics constantly and basically does not have a immune system.

Something you might ask to be tested for if your LO gets sick A LOT especially in the cooler months. I can't even say cold months since he just had croup and we finally got less than 100 degrees here in Texas. Complete blood panel is what showed his IGA.

Now I am off to go give him another breathing treatment. Poor kid cant sleep without hacking a lung.
Wow, I had never even thought of having his IGA tested. He gets sick like your ds. A common cold for my dd hits him hard and we usually end up in the hospital. His dr prescribed us a steroid breathing treatment for at home, and more Xeponex(sp) for a reg basis. If this winter goes on like the last two she want him to see a pulmanoligist(sp) in Jan to find out why he isn't fighting off this stuff. She thinks if it isnt a immune prob it could be a form of asthma. We are in TX too and yest it was 80 and today 60.