View Poll Results: Would you read "It's Just A Plant" to your child, do you agree/disagree w/ the book?
Yes 20 18.35%
No 72 66.06%
I agree with the book. 27 24.77%
I don't agree with the book. 54 49.54%
Other, please explain. 6 5.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2008, 07:52 AM   #51
mbsr76
Registered Users

Re: "It's Just A Plant" book...

I wouldn't read it to my children. I don't think pot is horrible, and I think it should probably be legalized, but the book's approach is not the one I would want to take. I don't think pot and kids go well together. I also don't think alcohol and kids go well together, and I wouldn't read them something like "It's just a fermented fruit" either.

We don't intend to shelter our children from all realities of the world around them, but I don't think the "It's no big deal" approach is one we will take either.

I also don't want to teach my children that breaking the law is ok. Question the law, sure. Work to change laws that you disagree with, absolutely. But outright break them? No.

Interesting topic.

Advertisement

mbsr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:55 AM   #52
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsr76 View Post
We don't intend to shelter our children from all realities of the world around them, but I don't think the "It's no big deal" approach is one we will take either.

I also don't want to teach my children that breaking the law is ok. Question the law, sure. Work to change laws that you disagree with, absolutely. But outright break them? No.

Interesting topic.
I like the way you worded this!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #53
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

No. I would never read that to my kids.

I hope my daughter (16 yrs) has the sense to save her money for important things, and I would be VERY disappointed in her if she would waste her hard earned money on pot.

People say Pot makes you think more clearly. But, I don't want to be on the same road with someone who has been smoking a joint. I don't want anybody who has been smoking pot to rewire my electricity or fix my car.

With that said, I smoked pot a little in high school and college. I had fun. But, then I grew up.

For medicinal reasons, (real medicinal reasons) especially for someone I care about, I would gladly buy it for them.

But just to simply get high.. Nope.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #54
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsr76 View Post
I wouldn't read it to my children. I don't think pot is horrible, and I think it should probably be legalized, but the book's approach is not the one I would want to take. I don't think pot and kids go well together. I also don't think alcohol and kids go well together, and I wouldn't read them something like "It's just a fermented fruit" either.

Interesting topic.
I'd never read that book to my kids, and I disapprove of it in its entirety. I think there are worse things than pot, but why introduce my kids to drugs on any level? Or teach them it's okay not to mind rules and laws that are in place to protect them. I am actually in shock to see a book like that in a store, sorry if I missed it but where in this world did you see that book?
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #55
amrijane128
Registered Users
seller

Well I'm clearly in the minority, but yeah, absolutely. I love the illustrations and want to read the whole book. I think it's a great educational way to introduce a child to a more "adult" subject. No different than sex in my opinion. I want my daughter to know about it early on, with no confusion. I also want to teach her in a child appropriate way.

The book clearly states that it is for responsible adults, it's not pushing your 7 year old to try this and break the law. I am complete a marijuana supporter and can only hope that my daughter will grow up with a more open mind, as a result of early exposure to non mainstream opinions.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #56
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches330 View Post
Can't say I've ever heard of anyone blacking out from weed.
Seriously? I um...

...Yeah...

You haven't been around the same stuff I've been around... That's all I'm going to say about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrijane128 View Post
I am complete a marijuana supporter and can only hope that my daughter will grow up with a more open mind, as a result of early exposure to non mainstream opinions.
Wonder what your daughter was named after...

Last edited by MommaBunny; 10-27-2008 at 05:07 PM.
MommaBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #57
jennym91005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

when in college, i used to drink andd smoke pot a lot. i agree that drinking is worse than smoking pot, but drinking is legal and pot is illegal. i will not be teahing that pot is ok to smoke, b/c whether i agree or not that it is...it is still ILLEGAL.