Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
very gassy baby

My 2 wk old has been really super gassy He's on my chest right now and i can feel all the little bubbles. He's very fussy and wiggly most of the time, especially when he is sleeping, and has really loud and watery poops- they seem pretty uncomfortable for him too He spits up, but then gags and swallows it, it always scares me that he is choking. Our first had very bad reflux, and this isn't as bad as that was, but I'm starting to wonder if the little one's got it too? I'm not sure what is "normal" for a newborn, and his first appt with the ped isn't until next week. Is this normal for little babies, and does the gripe water really help with the gassiness- I'm really thinking about going to get some. I feel so bad for him
With all the questions I have, you'd think I was a first time mom
Thanks

Now its getting worse... we were up for hours last night with him screaming and nothing we did helped. This is terrible

Advertisement

Last edited by logansmomma07; 08-31-2008 at 10:12 AM.
logansmomma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
jausten
Registered Users
seller

Re: very gassy baby

E never had reflux, so I don't know how to tell the difference. But anytime she was squirmy/fussy, I just bicycled her legs or pushed her knees gently into her tummy until she passed gas. She always got the biggest smile when she pooted.
expecting #2 sept 2010
jausten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
mmillerRN
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD was very gassy too, and gripe water did nothing! like pp said, I just pumped the legs, walked w/ her draped across my arm upside down, whatever it took. I went to a completely bland diet, i.e. no milk, no soda, no gassy foods whatsoever. It didn't work for her, and she outgrew it about 8-9wks. My son was sensitive to soda, so if I cut that out, he was fine. GL!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The gripe water did nothing And it was $10 for that little bottle! But last night, he did not want to nurse much, well he would wake up and was fussy like he was hungry and would go crazy til I latched him on, then once he got a few gulps he was asleep. Today has been the same way, except he has been spitting up alot more. Once I swear he spit up everything that was in his tummy I know his tummy has got to be upset, but I don't know what I could be eating that isn't agreeing with him? I don't eat gassy foods, I don't drink much milk (just with my cereal), and nothing spicy or "weird". I did have a king size candy bar yesterday maybe its sugar?? I have a bad sweet tooth, though I try to fight it
Old 10-28-2008, 12:58 AM   #5
babylakhouiri
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know its kinda late for this, and I mentioned it in another thread of yours, but I learned that the extreme gassiness babies get can be caused by them getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. The hindmilk is much richer and goes thru their digestive tract slower, preventing a lot of gas. At that age, my son didnt drink a lot of milk, only nursing a few minutes at a time, so I had to sometimes pump a minute or two before I fed him, to limit the amount of foremilk he was getting. This helped like nothing else. No change in my diet helped, nor cycling his legs, nor massaging his belly. And the drops NEVER worked! I believe those are a waste of good money.

I hope that info helps!
babylakhouiri is offline   Reply With Quote