Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #61
statikradio
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 16 and 14 year olds want to take a road trip

I would definitely say NO NO NO!

And I'm a very liberal person!
The reasons she gave for going may be good ones, but I would question her motives. Staying in a hotel and not with family? She must be up to something. She may even be trying to meet with someone from online or whatnot. I know when I was 16 I was meeting people, but I never went THAT far. The only reason (in my eyes) that someone would want to go somewhere that far and that urgently with out chaperons would be hormone-based!

If they really wanted to go for the reasons she actually gave you, they could stay with family and get there by plane and get picked up by an adult family member.

A long trip like that is dangerous even for an adult in that weather. I drove from Florida to Pennsylvania by myself and stayed in a hotel room alone. The first hotel I stayed in was really cheap and there were people walking around all night. I had just got in and taken a shower when I heard someone jiggling the door handle. I immediately got my money back and drove another hour in the middle of the night to get a hotel room somewhere else a bit nicer and more secure. I don't know if I would have thought to do that if I was a 16 year old. I might have just thought once you check in you are stuck.

Anyway....I would definitely say no.
Just remember teenagers KNOW EVERYTHING. That is not something you can argue with them about. However, you can stop them from putting themselves in situations they might regret later.

I was a stand up girl for the most part and I got into some sticky situations as a teen. At 16 I had a friend who wasn't such a good girl and she took me out to meet some older guys and go to a shady motel. They ended up having sx and I was stuck in a room with the other guy and THANKFULLY he was understanding that I wasn't there to do the same. If he had not cared, I probably would have been raped because here I was a stupid 16 year old in a motel room with a man I didn't know. I was lucky and that girl was not a good friend.

At 13 I know I tried my hardest to hook up with my step-cousin (lol I know, but at least we weren't blood related) when I was 14 because there was an attraction there and at that age it is so strong! But I am so glad my parents were clued in and prevented me from ever being around him. I figured out later he was just a big horn-ball. When I was older I sought him out and he was just the same as when he was 16 - one track mind. I teased him and left him to be mad and I knew my parents were right.

Uh....yeah so that was a tangent lol
I'm just saying she's probably leaving something out of the equation. Sounds fishy to me.

Advertisement

** Mom of two **
statikradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #62
swismiself
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd like to give the teens the benefit of the doubt. Not all teens are hormone-crazed and irresponsible. My 14 year old high school freshman stepsister is far more mature than some of my own friends in their mid and late 20s. That doesn't mean I would want her driving across the country by herself, but it's not because I don't trust her, but beause it's simply a dangerous activity whose goals can be reached in a more safe manner. I wouldn't trust the people she meets to treat her with the same respect as she deserves, and at her age she just doesnt have the life experiences to deal with it alone - yet.
swismiself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #63
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nope.. actually at 14 and 16 they wouldnt even be able to rent a hotel room! I was denied a hotel room at 20 because I needed to be 21 (this was in illinois).. i was on my way to alabama (from wisconsin) with my 16 yo sister. We ended up sleeping in our car in a parking lot
Old 10-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #64
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say No unless you could get an adult to go with them.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:50 PM   #65
avidreader
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No way would I ever let my kids that age go on a road trip- no matter how "retarded" they think it is- I think it is incredibly unsafe and no matter how mature they are (or think they are)- too much crap can happen- for me, there would be no question about it- a definite no.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #66
CourtCourt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by statikradio View Post
The reasons she gave for going may be good ones, but I would question her motives. Staying in a hotel and not with family? She must be up to something. She may even be trying to meet with someone from online or whatnot. I know when I was 16 I was meeting people, but I never went THAT far. The only reason (in my eyes) that someone would want to go somewhere that far and that urgently with out chaperons would be hormone-based!
This was my first thought too. That's an awfully long drive, and I tend to wonder if there's not something else going on that she isn't telling you. (But I'm suspicious like that...because I was occasionally that kind of teenager.)

And, as other posters have mentioned, most hotels won't rent a room to a 16 year old anyway.
Stocking at on 12/29!
CourtCourt is offline   Reply With Quote