Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2008, 03:13 AM   #1
ShyViolet
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
milk dried up but LO still comfort nurses to sleep. HELP!!!

OK, I am 21 weeks pregnant, my DD is 15 1/2 months old. My milk dried up about 2 months ago and she still will only go to sleep if she's comfort nursing. The odd time if she's taking a while to fall asleep she'll take a break from the boob, grab her sippy cup and fall asleep but that is always preceeded by comfort nursing on and off for like an hour!

At first it didn't bother me so much, my nipples are tender from being pregnant but I want to do this gently and I kept hoping she'd just stop since there's no milk. Well, now it is very uncomfortable on top of the tenderness! I get almost antsy or squeamish and I can't stand it so I have to break her latch and then she freaks out and I have to get her all calmed down and settled again.

If you have any ideas or advice please share! I honestly don't know how much more of this I can take. After 3 hours of trying to get her to sleep I finally took her for a car ride at 2 am and that worked but I can't do that every night. She comfort nurses for naps too but it usually takes only 10 min so it doesn't bother me so much, but of course I'd like her off the boob all the time.

Advertisement

ShyViolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: milk dried up but LO still comfort nurses to sleep. HELP!!!

are you 100% sure your milk has dried up? I nursed through pregnancy and yeah ouch! Ss mama!! could your child's father be the one to work on putting her to sleep? It may help to not have you there?
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:00 AM   #3
life.sew.simple
Registered Users
Formerly: *home*mademama
seller

I'm there too now but I am just a few weeks pregnant. My ds is 2 and luckily I started the weaning the last couple months. I mean I have been pushing for it more, refusing to nurse during the day. But he always nurses to sleep for his nap and at night and then a few times in the night he wants to and it really is starting to hurt. I am hoping that it will just be a few days of telling him no and he will get through it. I also wanted to do this gently and its breaking my heart because we were not planning this pregnancy. I think I will be trying to get my dh to help put him to sleep as the pp said.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:37 AM   #4
mom23girls
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just a question but what makes it hurt? I'm having a lower supply and fear that it will go away but was hoping I could still comfort nurse but if it hurts....
Old 11-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

My DD nursed all through my pregnancy with DS even though my milk dried up around 10-12 weeks .. it did hurt, and i got that icky creep-crawly feeling .. but my DD was a bit older - about 18 months .. if she wouldn't go to sleep in about 10 mins i had DH rock her to sleep.. she is 2.5 now and she still wants to nurse to sleep but she will accept it if i tell her the milk is going night-night .. i think if it were me, in your situation, i would let her nurse for a few mins, maybe sing a song or something to time it and then calm her down and hadn her off to DH to cuddle/rock .. she will get use to only nursing for a few mins and if she doesn't like it she can quit nursing ..it just depends on how stubborn she is , or how much she still needs nursing.. my DD is really stubborn & really enjoys nursing so it is worth it to her to only nurse a few mins a day.. and i am fine with just a few mins a day so it works out..
Old 11-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
ShyViolet
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it hurts just because I'm pregnant, they're sensitive.

Yes, I'm very sure my milk is dried up. She used to let DH put her to sleep around 12 months old but now she will not let him. We've tried a few times and she cries and screams so hard she can hardly breath. He can't calm her down. I also tried having my sister put her down for a nap and same thing. She used to let her but not now. So I don't know if she's also going through some sort of separation anxiety from me?? She loves these other family members every other time, it's just nap or bedtime she only wants mom.

Thanks for the advice so far ladies. I'm going to try nursing for a little bit and then trying the other stuff like rocking and singing. Last night was so awful, she got so worked up about me not giving her the boob (this was after she was on the boob several times for 5-10 min each) that I could do nothing to get her to sleep. After like 3 hours of calming down then having another meltdown I finally took her for a car ride and she zonked out.

Anyone ever try making it taste bad? I read somewhere that someone put garlic paste of their nipple and their son didn't like the taste so he eventually stopped trying. *sigh* I don't know. Keep the suggestions coming, I really appreciate it.
ShyViolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
mom23girls
Registered Users

My Mood:

What about using a SNS and then slowly decreasing the amount that comes out (like use 2 oz one week, then 1 oz, and then 1/2). Maybe it was too abrupt a change?

I think around your dd's age they are going through separation anxiety too so I would think that is playing into this as well.

Good luck! Thanks for answering my question on why it was hurting!