Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2006, 09:03 PM   #11
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who else makes their own dipes?

Me, my cousin, my sis & a friend are all making our own pockets!! My cousin was able to get her childcare babies in cloth & we are also making cloth for another friend! Sewing our own is such a great way to help get friends into cloth for less $$...

oh & my sis had an embordery machine handed down to her... (what a great hand-me-down, eh??)... so I'm excited to try some embrordery on the butts!!

Advertisement

Last edited by mommy2zander; 04-24-2006 at 09:04 PM.
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:34 PM   #12
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vick
Yeah That!

I keep telling the hubby that I need to get a sewing machine so I can try making my own ... he's like "well, learning would certainly keep you off the Internet buying 'em all day"
LOL, that's too funny, Vick! My DH cracks me up by his imagination of prices I'd ask for one dipe! LMBO. It's cute though, I like that he's so fond of the ones I make.

Beckers111,
if you got a machine, just go ahead and try it, it's really not complicated!

Jenn,
I'm sorry your cutie already outgrew the ones you made. I hate when that happens! It's so hard letting the cute dipes go, isn't it!?

MamaStace,
I started out making my first pocket fitteds (and reg. fitteds) from recycled stuff like soft flannel sheets, old tees, and I still use tons of receiving blankets!
For the inner I prefer microfleece which I can sometimes get at our local Walmart fabric section or online from Joanns for a good price. (It's not MM, but almost the same. At least it has the same effect, wicking the moisture away from DS's bum)
I have yet to try hemp, BKT, sherpa and such, but for those I joined a couple of yahoo groups of sewing mamas. (PM me if you're interested in the links)
Oh, and for the closure (aplix or touchtape) I order through DiaperShop.com.

As for stuffing, I've got lots of microfiber towels I use. I plan on venturing out though through the yahoo group orders I've got coming.

Lovencloth,
thanks for the advice! I try to sell more and more bought fitteds in order to use my own made. But I can def. see how it can happen easily that you make dipes for everyone else but for your own suddenly!

TaivensMama,
you just got me the idea to make some tiny doll dipes for DD's dolls!!! I always hate when she says "Oh, another dipe for Mason?" so this way I can make some cute ones for 'her' too!

As to your question re the serger, no, I don't have one. Right now I couldn't afford one and am happy with T&T, but I'm sure once I'd try one, I wouldn't want to go back probably! LOL Maybe in the future, together with a snap press!

Heather,
that's so sweet that you're making your bro's baby dipes!!! You gotta take a pic of those cute NB dipes!

Melissa,
I understand! I have yet to try one of your dipes aswell!

mommy2zander,
that's awesome that you all are making your own dipes! Oooh.. and an embroidery machine as a hand me down!? WOW!!! I'd love that! LOL
You have to show us some pics one day!
Old 04-25-2006, 12:10 AM   #13
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

I do I do. I started mainly because I liked the "thought" of cloth diapers (before seeing how much they cost!). I bought 3 fb on ebay and the rest are all homemade. I love making them and now want to start a business. I am so proud of my ceations and love seeing how much money I am saving. The prints are just adorable. I KNOW that I have the cutest dipes and wipes in my area (everyone, but one great mama, uses sposies). They are such great conversation pieces as well. Our children are blessed!

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:37 AM   #14
strawhatbrat
Registered Users

Oooh, me me me!! My favorite thing to sew! I love being able to embroider my own.

Last edited by strawhatbrat; 04-25-2006 at 12:40 AM.
strawhatbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:56 AM   #15
1boy1girl1bitty2
Registered Users
seller

i also started maing my own just because we were/are planning to have another baby very soon and would have two in diapers at the same time and then when i saw the finished product!!! i was hooked now i am making a bunch (stocking up) to sell. i personally like the fact that i have the ability to pick and choose the cutest fabrics. and even a few that amuse me or dh (i have coke one b/c dh is a fan and john deere b/c i'm a fan!! lol) currently my son is the only child in my house wearing them but it won't stop me from putting a breast cancer awareness dipe on him. i've sewn since i was 5 years old fads came and went but i hope this is a fad that i don't get tired of

Last edited by 1boy1girl1kitty2; 04-25-2006 at 12:58 AM.
1boy1girl1bitty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:35 AM   #16
Tyrity
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've made a few for my older DD when she was in dipes, but havent tried my hand at it for the boys yet. I am in the process of making inserts and doublers for them though. I know how ya feel, it is very satisifing when you see your sweet ones wearing something you made!!!!
Tyrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:01 AM   #17
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for your answers, mamas! It's so nice to see more moms like me, being so proud of themselves re their dipes!
Old 04-25-2006, 06:30 AM   #18
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

I tried last week to make a diaper ~ it was so funny!! I've heard a lot of people say that they tore a favorite diape apart to use it for inspiration but I love my diapes so there was no way that was happening. I kind of just guessed it and while it looked like a diaper I'm certain it wouldn't be a very good one. I did get a good laugh but that was hard work with no reward What type of elastic does everyone use? That was my main issue.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:31 AM   #19
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

Val, I have pics of them all on my blog!(link in sig)
Old 04-25-2006, 06:37 AM   #20
Bugaboo Bottoms
In a HUGE Pile of Wool!
seller

My Mood:

I make my own now. I have made several AIO's and a few pockets. I love it! Before I started making my own, all I had here was used diapers that I bought off here and off Ebay...while there's nothing wrong with buying used, I find that my "mommy made" ones work much better at containment. Probably because they are essentially brand new.

I get my supplies from several different places. Most of my fabric and notions come from Onestopdiapershop, A lady on one of my Yahoo groups and a co-op I belong to. All of my diapers have had outer PUL and all but one have inner suedecloth (purchased at Joann's). I use Costco Microfiber towels for my soakers.

I do have pictures if anyone want to see what I've done!

Kellie
Bugaboo Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote