Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2006, 03:52 PM   #21
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What 'cake-like treat' for 1st b-day?

for my 3rd child we had a "train" party and the engine and each "freight car" were breads in a loaf pan (carrot, zuccini, banana, pumpkin, and apple) frosted with colored cream cheese frosting.
#4 hates sweets, so we had something.. I forget what.. but I knew he wouldn't eat it so I let everyone put it on the tray. Then I made meatloaf in cupcake tins and frosted with mashed potatoes LOL

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #22
mathlady
Registered Users

We made my son a cake from a recipe book I have. The cake is "War Cake" -- it was invented during the food rationing of WW I and II, so no eggs, almost no fat (like 1 TBSP for the whole cake?) and little sugar. And it was GOOD. Sorta carrot cakey, but no carrots (I know it doesn't make sense... )

Anyway, I know you've already got a bunch of good suggestions, but if you want this recipe, PM me.

Oh, and I made some cream cheese frosting, but you could use a vegan frosting or make a sugar glaze if you don't want the dairy.

Sharon
mathlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:07 PM   #23
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

We've done a sugar free carrot cake that was a hit-- my son stll prefers that.

My son likes cottage cheese sundaes (though he's older and just now starting to eat dairy)-- cottage cheese scooped like ice cream, with pineapples and other bits of fruit.
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:08 PM   #24
mathlady
Registered Users

We made my son a cake from a recipe book I have. The cake is "War Cake" -- it was invented during the food rationing of WW I and II, so no eggs, almost no fat (like 1 TBSP for the whole cake?) and little sugar. And it was GOOD. Sorta carrot cakey, but no carrots (I know it doesn't make sense... )

Anyway, I know you've already got a bunch of good suggestions, but if you want this recipe, PM me.

Oh, and I made some cream cheese frosting, but you could use a vegan frosting or make a sugar glaze if you don't want the dairy.

Sharon
mathlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #25
kgsd
Registered Users
seller

This is a neat idea. I don't think I would have a problem with Katie eating the traditional cake (I'm not very crunchy ) but I think it's awesome to do something different. I think I'm going to consider that when Katie turns 1!
kgsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:22 AM   #26
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did carrot cake for ds's 2nd b'day. Everyone loved it except the neighbor's 3 yo who complained there were vegetables in her cake. oh well. We don't do the no sugar thing - I don't give him much but it's not off limits either.
For his first b'day I made a mix cake(we were away from home) and used olive oil instead of plain veg or canola in it.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:19 PM   #27
A'smommy
Registered Users

Well, my sister doesn't have kids, but she has this ferret...her fur child if you will. She had a b-day party for Mav and built a little "cake" out of banana slices. It was kind of a pyramid shape and she stuck a candle in the topmost slice...it was cute.

For my DD's 1st birthday we let her have the traditional cake (a small 6-inch round). She played with it, smashed it, etc., but didn't eat very much of it. She was wearing more of it than she actually ingested.

GL, hope you can figure out what's best for y'all!