Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #11
3babiestolove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty learning starts today

Don't feel bad!!! He probably doesn't know the feeling when he needs to pee. It took my kids a day or more to figure it out. When we started out, my twin son did great with a potty schedule routine going every 1 1/2 hours, but my twin daughter had an accident every time after sitting on the potty. Finally, this summer I took my kids outside for a full week with gerber cloth training underwear, and my daughter finally figured it out. We use stickers and m & m for rewards for poo & pee (1 m & m for pee and 2 m & m poo). This seems to work great. My son hasn't mastered the pooing business. He is a one hit wonder, but my daughter, she has been pooing in the potty since Thursday which I am bribing her with a new toy we saw in toy catalog. She was afraid to poo in the potty for the longest time, but I hope she keeps up with it.

I also agree with the other mama that you should only use diapers for naps/bedtime & may long trips in the car. I am doing a lot more laundry because my son continue to have accidents. I also love the gerber trainers because my kids can feel when they are little wet and will tell when they need to potty.

We have been potty training/learning since July and it is getting better. It takes time. I was ready to give up after 1 week but I told myself to keeping trying. They would catch on sooner or later.

Good luck!!! Hang in There!!!!!

Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #12
stefaniem
Registered Users
seller

mama, I am right there with you. I know how frustrating it is. You probably already know this, but it is really common to have an accident right after sitting on the potty. The whole experience is so new and exciting that the child tenses up a bit, then once they are off they relax and............you know what happens. So it is not anything you are doing wrong. Stick it out, he'll get the hang of it!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
3babiestolove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I forgot to mention. It seems when my son is playing intently he tends to forget about going potty and pees or poos in his pants. Also, he seems to not care that he is wet.

I wouldn't let him run around with anything on especially with your hardwood floors. Maybe try putting on some pants at least it would catch some of the mess.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #14
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

I don't know. I tried all or nothing with my dd- she was very aware of when she went and PLed herself for poop 100%, so I figured it was time to go all the way. Nope. Rewards, nekkid time, etc. Nothing doing. She became resistant to the potty and I finally gave up after about 2 months of trying and trying and trying... I even kept her in those Gerber training pants when we were vacationing at the beach (ugh!).

Several months later, she just sort of did it. But, she was only 2 yrs and 9 mos, so I understand your frustration with your son being past his 3rd Bday.

I have a son born 4/06, so right at 2.5 yrs old who has very little interest in the potty. He does not seem to know when he is about to go either. Which, baffles me, as my dd was aware of that way before 2 yrs old. We have potty videos, and a toy that sits on the mantle that he knows he can open as soon as he does ANYTHING in the potty! Once in awhile he sits there, but has never had any success. For now, we try to pretend like we don't care, as he is in a very oppositional phase.

I'd say, think about your son first- does he seem like he is willing to go and in a good phase developmentally to be open to going? I think if you decide yo give it a go, you need to give it *at least* a full week with NO diapers- except nighttime. Make sure it is a week where you can do that. With my dd, we took the potty in the car with us- and it was scary going in the grocery store with underwear on! Maybe have some heavy duty waterproof trainers for going out.

Good luck, and don't stress too much. My friend's son didn't PL until he was close to 4, but once he got it, he had it, ya know?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #15
3babiestolove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also I have about 9 gerber training pants for each kid and this will get me through a day and half if they tend to have accidents throughout the day, especially my son.

HANG IN THERE!!! YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #16
syndibee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't stress momma.
Give your son a hug and take pleasure in having him there with you.
It doesn't matter if he uses the potty today, or tomorrow, next month, or even in 3 months...what matters is this great growing time you and he have together.
When you are ready to try again have a stack of at least 10 pairs of undies, don't worry about making him have to go, just take him into the bathroom every hr and offer the rewards for success, remind him at the accidents..though keep the reminders light like "uh-oh where does that peepee go?" then change him and let it go until its time to use the potty again.
he will eventually get it, it's a huge step for him to suddenly have to be aware of his bodily functions AND control them.