Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My son is obsessed with Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop_333 View Post
LOL awwww. My almost 4 year old recognizes pictures of him wherever we go and gets all excited
My 4yr old too!! He tells people "I know who the president is... Barack Obama!" People kinda look at him like did he really just say that?? He sounds like a little munchkin saying it, but says it perfectly!!! I love it!!

Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
tyles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lillian (2yo) is the same way! We are Obama fans, but still. When she sees him on the tv, she runs up and kisses it. She's constantly cheering for him. Her favorite phrase is "Barack Obama. Prove (approve) this message!" She named her stuffed dog "Bark Obama", with her brother's encouraging a bit. She picks him out of the tiniest pictures on the tv and internet.

The day after election, this is how breakfast went:
The big sister looked lovingly at her younger sister and said, "Lilly, did you know Barack Obama won the election?"
The little sister excitedly jumped up and proclaimed, "Barack Obama! Yay! I bote (voted) for him! My shirt!"
[We took the kids with us to vote and Lilly ended up with an Obama sticker on her shirt election day LOL]
Do I owe you feedback?! Don't hesitate to remind me!
tyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #13
danaalex
Registered Users

well i spoke with some friends from church to see what they thought i should do, and none of us could think of a sensative way to approach the subject.

it's about abortion. basically the little girl told my daughter that people choose to kill their babies and that the new president kills babies. i'm just not that crazy about my 7 yr old being told by a 6 yr old that the PRESIDENT kills babies. my daughter kept saying "he looks like a nice man. why would he want to kill babies?"

i haven't brought the subject up with her again because i really don't want her thinking about babies dying or people killing them, ya know? and i don't want her to associate the president of the united states with killing babies. not at 7 yrs of age. heck, she doesn't even know WHERE they come from yet, much less why someone would kill one.

i have no clue if there will be more or not. but i'm not really sure there is a good or gentle way to talk to the parents about it. especially since *I* didn't hear the actual conversation.

a neighbor told me that the same little girl told her daughter that santa claus does not exist. she was 5 when she told this other little girl that. even if the parents are teaching the kids that ( along with politics) i'm not sure it's cool to have the kids trying to teach OTHER kids their parents beliefs.

one of my friend's sons told her that he could not be friends with kids who's parents voted for barack obama, he is 6 yrs old. apparently there is a lot of talk at school regarding WHO the parents voted for. i don't know. it all just seems so wrong to me. these are LITTLE children .

and my girls just know that they like the man on TV, they like his name and his little girls. they don't know ANYTHING about him or his family, nothing. they know the name of george w. bush too, but again they know NOTHING about it. there is no reason for them at 7 and under to know any more than that, at least in my opinion for my kids there isn't.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #14
lilyfish
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaalex View Post
well i spoke with some friends from church to see what they thought i should do, and none of us could think of a sensative way to approach the subject.

it's about abortion. basically the little girl told my daughter that people choose to kill their babies and that the new president kills babies. i'm just not that crazy about my 7 yr old being told by a 6 yr old that the PRESIDENT kills babies. my daughter kept saying "he looks like a nice man. why would he want to kill babies?"

i haven't brought the subject up with her again because i really don't want her thinking about babies dying or people killing them, ya know? and i don't want her to associate the president of the united states with killing babies. not at 7 yrs of age. heck, she doesn't even know WHERE they come from yet, much less why someone would kill one.

i have no clue if there will be more or not. but i'm not really sure there is a good or gentle way to talk to the parents about it. especially since *I* didn't hear the actual conversation.

a neighbor told me that the same little girl told her daughter that santa claus does not exist. she was 5 when she told this other little girl that. even if the parents are teaching the kids that ( along with politics) i'm not sure it's cool to have the kids trying to teach OTHER kids their parents beliefs.

one of my friend's sons told her that he could not be friends with kids who's parents voted for barack obama, he is 6 yrs old. apparently there is a lot of talk at school regarding WHO the parents voted for. i don't know. it all just seems so wrong to me. these are LITTLE children .

and my girls just know that they like the man on TV, they like his name and his little girls. they don't know ANYTHING about him or his family, nothing. they know the name of george w. bush too, but again they know NOTHING about it. there is no reason for them at 7 and under to know any more than that, at least in my opinion for my kids there isn't.
Wow, that is terrible. My kids, too, know the names of the candidates - and they DO know who I voted for - but nothing about their policies or anything like that.

It's amazing that parents are teaching their children to be so hateful (refusing to be friends with someone whose parents voted for Obama). I hope this election storm dies down soon...
~ emma goldman
lilyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
Lovely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD also loves Obama. We are big Obama fans though. But whenever the t.v.'s on and she hears them say his name she comes running to me and sayd "mom! They said Barack Obama on tv!" Its so cute.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #16
danaalex
Registered Users

yeah it's all pretty crazy to me. i don't remember being like that when i was a child and an election had just taken place. i don't recall it being a subject at school or amongst friends. maybe as we got older and entered high school, but certianly not in 1st grade or elementary school.

my husband and spoke about it last night for awhile. we want our girls to be able to show their excitement, even if they don't really know WHY they are excited LOL. but the thought of another child telling them that their excitement is wrong makes me sad for them. especially since all they know is that they are excited over a man on TV who has a fun name to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfish View Post
Wow, that is terrible. My kids, too, know the names of the candidates - and they DO know who I voted for - but nothing about their policies or anything like that.

It's amazing that parents are teaching their children to be so hateful (refusing to be friends with someone whose parents voted for Obama). I hope this election storm dies down soon...