Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2006, 01:05 AM   #11
dessismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: my non verbal daughter..

Later kids are usually later talkers. My DD who is now almost 5 did not talk at all until about 21 months. She had probably 10 words at 20 months. Then she exploded... now she is extremely verbal and loves to spell words and is beginning to read.

If you are worried, have early intervention evaluate your child. My oldest had 2 years of speeh therapy but then again she did not speak in sentences until age 4.

Advertisement

dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:24 AM   #12
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My Lochlan is 22 months, and after a HUGE explosion suddenly says Mom, dad, Connor, Trew, shoes, no, hey

At 21 months he said: mom, and dad and thats it.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:51 AM   #13
myr44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 2 yr old was a late talker. At 18 months he didn't say much at all. Apart from mama, papa and uh-oh. But suddenly, in the past month, the boy started to repeat everthing we're saying! Now he even started saying 2 word sentences (byebye caca ), so we're thrilled.

I think he was too invested in physical activities to bother talking.
myr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:05 AM   #14
janelyb
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'd say it wouldn't hurt to have a hearing test done and maybe a speech eval done. My son wasn't talking by that age either but it was due to he couldn't hear because of fluid in his ears. Now at age 3 we just found out he has mild CP.

good luck!
Janel, mamma to: Tyler (6/03) and Isabella (6/95),ttc #3
janelyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #15
mamato3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS who turned 2 in august only says about 5 words
The dr told us to not be concerned until 2.5 but in the last few months he has not been adding any new words in so we will be starting him in speech therapy in jan.

mamato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:28 PM   #16
mom.of.lex
Registered Users

My ds is 16 months. But he was a month premature. He just started walking. As far as talking he can get his point across but it's not really english. I'll list his words and translate.

mama - Mommy
dada - Daddy
baba - Bottle/Cup
mamamama - Milk
mmmm - Eat/Hungry
dudu - Ducky
dodo - Dog
nono - No
uhoh - he just says that for fun

Everybody says he should be talking by now. His cousin, who is 6 weeks older than him (but she was a couple days late), can say clearly momma, dadda, eat, cup, A, B, C, 1, 2, 3, allright, let me out, no no jodie don't touch... and probably alot of other stuff.

All kids learn and grow at different times, I don't like it when people try to compare kids. As long as they are healthy and happy, don't worry too much. That's just my opinion.

Last edited by mom.of.lex; 12-14-2006 at 01:32 PM.
mom.of.lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #17
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

i would call early intervention and get her evaluated. hearing test, etc.
david is 3.5 and still cant put sentences but has lot of vocabulary. he started talking at age 2.5
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:28 PM   #18
small_wonders_wipes
Registered Users
seller

My daughter is almost 23 months, and she is not talking much at all. She has a few words: mama, dada, bye bye, nigh nigh, kitty, Ma (grandma) and Pa (grandpa), yes, no, and says "ba" for bagel, banana and any other foods that start with a B and she can say a whole bunch of animal sounds if you ask her what the animals say. Just recently she has started singing songs and you can almost understand the words- she is especially good at the "row row" part of Row Row Row your Boat.

She understand everything you say to her and responds to questions and requests, like "can you go find teddy?" and she will go find him and bring him back to you. She is very smart, just not very vocal yet. She also pretends to read from books and even uses inflection in her babbling. LOL She was a late walker, but I think part of that was just because she preferred to be carried and I gave in a lot, just because I didn't want to hear her cry.

My husband was a late talker and I was a late walker, so I think she is just a mix of the two of us.

My family is a little obnoxious about her not talking. They are always saying things to her like "Speak! Speak!" or "Say the words! I can't understand you if you don't speak English!" or telling me that I need to make her speak English! So annoying!!! They behaved the same way about her not walking. I just try to ignore them and trust that she will talk when she is ready.
small_wonders_wipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:22 PM   #19
Merolu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My older boy was an early talker but had a little more difficulty with motor skills. My youngest is 20 months and has excellent motor skills and comprehension, but he really doesn't talk much. What he does say is a mix of mispronounced words and made up stuff. For instance, he says, byebye now, started that two days ago, dad, mom, dog, soo for shoe, banna for banana, wis uht for what's that.... but he calls brother Mickey, Bwah, he calls his socks foo-pooh and cereal is wed. Who knows why... everything else is signs and sounds. Telling us he's hungry is pointing to his lips and then patting his tummy with a MMMMMM sound. I'm sure he'll talk more when he feels like it, I'm not worried.

Last edited by Merolu; 12-15-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Merolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:42 PM   #20
GrandIsp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Caelum is 19 months and has approximations on maybe 8 or 10 words but we're talking GROSS approximations (wah wah for any type of liquid, gaga is mama, 'bah' can be boobie, or battery, buh buh is peanut butter). He is very very physically active and able and can even use a screwdriver properly. He understands a ton, and in 2 languages. Our ped said she still feels he falls within the range of 'normal' development though definitely on the slower side for speech. But it really (I think) is based on your gut. If you feel something is wrong, you're probably right. If not, right again! Sounds like you feel all is well so that's probably the case!