Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
can't take mom's advice

caleb is 27 weeks old and i've been giving him rice cereal for about three weeks and oatmeal for about two but he doesn't really seem to like either one. i can't get him to eat more than 1/2 tablespoon of either (mixed with breastmilk). he's been acting like he's wanted our food for over a month now, so i thought he'd love the cereal but all he does is 'chew' on the spoon and make a mmmmm noise. i was wanting to wait until he was eating more of the cereal before starting other things, but then i wonder if he'd like the other food more. has anyone else had any experience with this and what did you do?

cwaldroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: can't take mom's advice

MY DD was alot like this so I started offering her some of our foods mushed up and she really enjoyed it.
ShanJulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
Registered Users

also you could try adjusting the temperature (warmer or cooler) or the texture (adding more or less milk). and there's no rule saying babies have to love rice cereal before moving on to other foods. try avocado, banana, sweet potato...your bound to find something your LO likes when you expand his diet!
Mama to my little guy K, almost 2 years old!!
takasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #4

I introduced rice cereal mixed with breast milk at 6 months. DS liked it at first because it tasted like breast milk, but didn't seem to like the slowness of eating it off a spoon vs. nursing.
So I quickly switched to pureed fruits. I started with a smooshed banana about a week after I had introduced the rice cereal and it went much better.
So if your LO seems interested in solids, ditch the cereals and give him pureed fruits/veggies.

As always, though, ask your pediatrician about what specific foods are best
-Kate SAHM to John 12/31/07, Grace 10/15/09, Jack ^i^ 5/18/12 , and Jane 5/14/13
myblessedbaby is offline   Reply With Quote