Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
ashleymarie_82
Registered Users
seller

Thrust Reflex

So at 4 months, my ped said it was time to start the twins on solids - rice cereal at night for a week, then oatmeal at night for a week, then added fruit either rice or oatmeal for the next two weeks. Then, at 5 months, move the cereal to morning and have veggies at lunch and dinner.

Sounds great considering my boy won't go down at night anymore. He was going to bed and sleeping through the night wonderfully ever since we started Babywise at 8 weeks. So the doc said it was time for solids. BTW, my ped is a strong advocate for Babywise.

Well....he won't take the spoon! He will be 5 months in 10 days and still refuses to eat off the spoon. So we have been adding cereal to his bottle at night, which seems to be helpful. But I feel like he should be more accepting to the spoon at this point. His sister practically grabs the spoon from my hand to feed herself!

Any advice to help move him along????

Thanks!

Advertisement

ashleymarie_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thrust Reflex

no advice just my oldest showed no interest in solids until after 1 year but my second LOVES food. she is 8 months old and will scream for crackers or sweet potatoes and can feed herself with a spoon. Every child is different so dont stress out over it.
I though solids werent recommended til 6 months? <--- NOT starting a debate im definately not all knowing on solid feeding babies, thats just what my ped said....
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
mommypack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 2nd dd had the same issue, my ped. said to place the spoon on her tongue to hold it down-but it didn't work. She didn't eat solids until she was over a year old. She still does the tongue thrust thing when she swallows, and she's nine. Braces here we come!
mommypack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Serendipitous Creationz
Registered Users
Formerly: ****mom
seller

My Mood:

My daughter started eating solids after a year and only routinely after 18 months. Listen to his cues... there may be another cause for his change in sleep habits. He's still very young and certainly doesn't need solids at this point. Good luck
Serendipitous Creationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

First of all, any pedi telling you to start solids at night needs to be better educated on starting solids with babies.

Starting a solid at night is dangerous as you will not be able to monitor the baby for an allergic reaction. ALWAYS introduce foods in the morning or during the day. IF your baby has a reaction to a food and you are all asleep, you will not be able to see it happen and it could lead to devastating results.

And don't force the issue. DD didn't start solids until 10 months (we tried at 7.5 months and she had no interest).

And please also don't add cereal to a bottle. Its a choking hazard.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote