Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #11
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help with hard stools

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy0306 View Post
the quick oats. Looks like I better switch.
Here's what I do....I'll give you my recipe. I make a HUGE batch because she eats 1-2 bowls a day hehe

I buy bags of the whole grain rolled oats. I put 2 1/4 cups in the food processor and grind them up for about 5 seconds...just so its a better consistency for her. I boil 8 cups of water. Once its boiling, I stir the oats in slowly and then lower the temp to low, cover and let cook (stirring every 3-4 minutes) for about 10-15 minutes. Then I ladle into those small Gerber plastic bowls (with the covers) and put in the fridge.

Gives me about 1.5 weeks of oatmeal and we ALWAYS have a healthy snack around for her.

Advertisement

Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaxter View Post
Pear juice works WONDERS here. We use Knusden brand orgainc pear juice ALSO our ped recommended 2 oz of prune juice every day it keeps the poo soft and easy to push out.
Pears and prunes will also help.

I agree with cutting down on milk but the pear and prune juice IS a life saver here.
We did 2 oz of prune mixed with 2 oz of pear then add 4oz water ( 2 cups a day) on more stuck days we did 2 pear juice boxes ( Nathan LOVES juice BOXES) of the Knusden orgaic pear juice.
I only use the organics because alot of the other juices arent 100% juice
Her LO is only 15 months old. 100% juice is too much, it needs to be watered down if she were to give more juice.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #13
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:

Try rice milk instead of cow milk. It's not as nutritionally dense, but it can help to get the flow going, and you could even thin it 50-50 with cow's milk. This wouldn't be a good long-term replacement, but it might help with the current problem temporarily. You may also want to talk to your pediatrician about glycerin suppositories.

ETA: and my pedi recommends 100% juice in small amounts as laxatives. It's not healthy as a routine thing or nutritional source, but it's safer than a medicinal laxative.

Last edited by MommaBunny; 11-17-2008 at 10:19 AM.
MommaBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:22 AM   #14
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

ITA with maddiesmom suggestion of real rolled oats! i have hear that they really do help. My girls are GF so we do flaxseed hot cereals and they really help with digestion too! I bet if you mix different puree'd fruits into her food she will be more likely to eat it! Also, i do stoneyfield organic plain yougurt and dice apples really small and let my toddler "dip" the chunks. yogurt (not the sugar filled colored yougurts) is really good for her. I would cut back on the whole wheat breads, my girls couldnt tollerate them at all, they backed them up and thats what triggered finding out they couldnt tollerate gluten. Also, there are single serve prunes, they are really good! maybe let her gum on some of them? I also agree with upping her water intake.. most times constipation and hard stools is due to not enough water in the colon, keep a sippy out and available to her all day!
Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #15
myakylemom
Registered Users
seller

Prunes.

ISO: CHEAP wool sweaters or sweater parts
myakylemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #16
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sMom View Post
Here's what I do....I'll give you my recipe. I make a HUGE batch because she eats 1-2 bowls a day hehe

I buy bags of the whole grain rolled oats. I put 2 1/4 cups in the food processor and grind them up for about 5 seconds...just so its a better consistency for her. I boil 8 cups of water. Once its boiling, I stir the oats in slowly and then lower the temp to low, cover and let cook (stirring every 3-4 minutes) for about 10-15 minutes. Then I ladle into those small Gerber plastic bowls (with the covers) and put in the fridge.

Gives me about 1.5 weeks of oatmeal and we ALWAYS have a healthy snack around for her.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBunny View Post
Try rice milk instead of cow milk. It's not as nutritionally dense, but it can help to get the flow going, and you could even thin it 50-50 with cow's milk. This wouldn't be a good long-term replacement, but it might help with the current problem temporarily. You may also want to talk to your pediatrician about glycerin suppositories.

ETA: and my pedi recommends 100% juice in small amounts as laxatives. It's not healthy as a routine thing or nutritional source, but it's safer than a medicinal laxative.
Rice milk goes right through me, I never thought of that I agree, I really prefer to change her diet than give her supp. and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer View Post
ITA with maddiesmom suggestion of real rolled oats! i have hear that they really do help. My girls are GF so we do flaxseed hot cereals and they really help with digestion too! I bet if you mix different puree'd fruits into her food she will be more likely to eat it! Also, i do stoneyfield organic plain yougurt and dice apples really small and let my toddler "dip" the chunks. yogurt (not the sugar filled colored yougurts) is really good for her. I would cut back on the whole wheat breads, my girls couldnt tollerate them at all, they backed them up and thats what triggered finding out they couldnt tollerate gluten. Also, there are single serve prunes, they are really good! maybe let her gum on some of them? I also agree with upping her water intake.. most times constipation and hard stools is due to not enough water in the colon, keep a sippy out and available to her all day!
what other bread-type foods do your girls like?
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #17
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

we do alot of brown rice cakes, rice crackers and things of the like..
Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #18
jbaxter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sMom View Post
Her LO is only 15 months old. 100% juice is too much, it needs to be watered down if she were to give more juice.
not if given for laxitive purpposes. My 5 yr old STILL doesnt get full strength juice unless he hasnt gone in a couple days 100% juice gets it going
Old 11-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #19
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer View Post
we do alot of brown rice cakes, rice crackers and things of the like..
good suggestions, thank you
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote