Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
ajjulian
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
LO weaned now what?

My 5month old DS weaned himself. He absolutely refuses to nurse anymore. He screams if I even try. I hate having him on formula, any suggestions? Do you think its ok to go straight to whole milk? I want him to nurse again

Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

Re: LO weaned now what?

babies don't wean before a year old on their own - something else is going on. Don't go for cow's milk - it doesn't have what he needs. Keep trying to nurse - if you don't give him formula, he'll HAVE to nurse.
Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
ajjulian
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, to add to the story I have been supplementing out of need. I couldn't keep him full at all. I tried everything the Lactation consultant suggested and nothing worked so she told me to supplement. I would nurse and then 1/2 hr later he was getting 6oz of formula. Apparently I was making next to nothing. I kept up with what the LC told me to help production. Is it possible I just dried up and that is my problem? He won't latch on or anything. I know formula isn't the worst thing I can do but I am so sad he won't nurse.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
martimeCDnewbie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Well, to add to the story I have been supplementing out of need. I couldn't keep him full at all. I tried everything the Lactation consultant suggested and nothing worked so she told me to supplement. I would nurse and then 1/2 hr later he was getting 6oz of formula. Apparently I was making next to nothing. I kept up with what the LC told me to help production. Is it possible I just dried up and that is my problem? He won't latch on or anything. I know formula isn't the worst thing I can do but I am so sad he won't nurse
I can totally relate!! DD isn't weaning but she's getting next to nothing. she got weighed today 5months and she has lost weight from her last weigh in 3 months ago . so i have an appt on thursday to see what we can do about it. I feel horrible..like i've been starving her ..she cries when nursing almost everytime and now i know why.....

In the end you have to nourish your child..if you can't produce this yourself you have to give your child something...that something happens to be formula..and as much as it sucks...sometimes it has to be done. Don't beat yourself up over it...good luck!!!
martimeCDnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
ajjulian
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

GL to you too mama! It really sucks. I have friends who want nothing to do with BFing and they produce mass quantities of great milk. I want to and can't seem to. With my first I produced tons but my hormones were so out of wack he had an allergic reaction and we had to stop. Now this. Hope you figure it out and thanks for the encouragement
Old 11-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
sdevonh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry for your situation. It must be so frustrating! I'm not sure what the LC suggested, but have you tried Fenugreek? It worked amazingly for me when I wanted to boost my supply to store up when I was going back to work. If nothing else is working for you and you have to go the formula route, don't beat yourself up. You've done everything that you know who to do, and your baby's health always comes first. I know that it may be difficult, but if you really want to keep nursing, can you keep offering him the breast every time before you give him a bottle? Maybe he'll work through whatever is going on and make the swich back again. In the meantime, are you pumping to keep up your supply? If you are supplementing with formula, but not emptying your breasts, then your supply is going to automatically dwindle. A great book to check out is "Breastfeeding Made Easy". It makes so much sense and is great at helping to troubleshoot in situations like these. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
ajjulian
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much... We've tried just about everything and I think I am giving up It makes me so sad but I did the best could and have to be happy with that. My supply just won't come back and my lo just won't latch on. Thanks for the encouragement mama and the advice. I will stock up on fenugreek and that book for the next one