Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
justmarie17
Registered Users

Good baby spoons without plastic/rubber?

We recently started feeding ds with a spoon, but I still haven't purchased any actual baby spoons. I would like to get some because the regular small spoons are a little big for his mouth. Can anyone recommend some without plastic/rubber? I've seen some wood ones, but I worry about cleaning them and eventually splintering, etc. Maybe just good stainless steel options, or??? Thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
takasmom
Registered Users

Re: Good baby spoons without plastic/rubber?

www.safemama.org has a good list of 'safer' utensils. some do have plastic but they only include plastics that are BPA, pvc and phthalate free. we tried feeding with a stainless spoon and found it didn't work for us because 1) too sensitive to temperature changes and 2) once ds started teething he didn't know not to bite on the metal.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
catalina
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by takasmom View Post
www.safemama.org has a good list of 'safer' utensils. some do have plastic but they only include plastics that are BPA, pvc and phthalate free. we tried feeding with a stainless spoon and found it didn't work for us because 1) too sensitive to temperature changes and 2) once ds started teething he didn't know not to bite on the metal.

thank you for posting about this website! i loveit
Old 11-11-2008, 11:02 PM   #4
oliviab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use stainless steel ones.I dont have a web site but I much prefer them over plastic!
oliviab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
mom4organics
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DH got me a few small silver spoons. I dont worry about disinfecting or any of that stuff since silver is a natural metal that kills bacteria..... I dont really like the rubber ones either.
mom4organics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
glupton
Registered Users
seller

you can buy personalized (name and birthdate) oneida stainless steel ones from gerber. there are two styles to choose from and they are $2.95 each (no shipping). you can buy as many as you want. they arrive pretty quickly, too, and make cute keepsakes!

i bought my son the long-handled one, but may go back and buy him the other one, too!

Here's the link to the gerber promotions website (you may have to log in to see it)

Here's the actual form you can print to order
Old 11-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Stoki3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use the same stainless steel "egg spoons" my folks used for me when I was a baby. DS loves metal, so they work well for us. Lots of silverware patterns have mini serve spoons, or you can search for demitasse spoons or salt spoons. A benefit of "non-baby-ware" is that you can use them for serving condiments or soft-boiled eggs long after babyhood. I also use mine to eat ice cream - slows me down!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
justmarie17
Registered Users

Yep, I ended up getting some plain stainless spoons (can't remember what the actual use for them was supposed to be, and I threw the info away) at Target. They are Oneida and were very inexpensive. They seem to be working fine! Thanks, everyone!