Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
catalina
Registered Users

My Mood:
Advice Please!! Should i wait longer to start solids?

I gave Bela about 1/2 tbs of whole grain organic rice ceral (earths best) with breat milk today. she loved it, she opened her mouth, grabbed the spoon and would try to put it in her mouth. she seemed to enjoy it very much.
but then i began to read about the "bad" things related to starting solids early. will my milk supply diminish will she have allergies? etc, etc? now im worried? should i wait longer?? (i only plan on giving her about a tbs once a day in the morning) will this cause her to breastfeed less? she seems interested, and shes got a tooth and another coming out. she took the food in really well and is always staring at my food and trying to take my food. shes 5 1/2 months. should i wait till shes older? thanx!

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Frogjump
Registered Users

Re: Advice Please!! Should i wait longer to start solids?

I started "giving" my son solids the day he grabbed some off my plate and ate it. So 5 months old or so But I'm still really lax about it. He's had cereal once and every couple of days he has something off my plate. He likes it but would rather nurse, I haven't had trouble with my milk but like I said him eating solids isn't an everyday thing just here and there. The recomondation is 6 months and start out simple rice cereal and one new food every 4-5 days so you can track it. Sorry not much help
Old 11-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
etenney
Registered Users
seller

I say let the baby lead the way, they rarely go wrong. I think if she likes it, give it to her. If you see your milk starting to diminish, add a pumping session into your day to keep up your supply? If you stick to the recommended early foods, I think she probably won't be allergic, especially if you don't have food allergies in your family. All babies are different and are going to be ready for solids on their own schedule.
etenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
jennyM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the above post, let your little one lead the way! Our dd was very interested in our food and she tasted her first mashed bananas (though i wouldn't say she 'ate' it...) at 4.5months. This was because she was interested in our food and could sit up well with support and was a healthy weight/nursing often. We 'officially' introduced about a tbs of cereal a day at around 5 months. It was very relaxed and it didn't necessarily happen everyday...this was because i was lazy and somewhat worried as you are that too much exposure could be harmful. But, like I said, it wasn't as if we went from full bf to 3 meals a day of cereal! I think a slow introduction is best as it helped calm my nerves and made the transition easier so now the 3 meals a day we do do are more natural vs at the beginning when prepping food for her was SUCH a chore! (all the more so since we'd never used formula!)
Don't stress too much fellow mommy, you are well within the general pediatric guidelines for solid introduction....i think introducing cereal at 2 or 3 months could be detrimental, but you're well beyond that
jennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
slaferriere@berklee.net
Registered Users

I think if they start reaching for it, it's time. I think if they can SIT UP on their own, that's a good sign too.. If you have to prop your baby up to shovel food in, it's too early imo.

Big Sister Lacie Elizabeth Keegan 9lbs 5oz January 11, 2008
Married to Kory, the man who drives me insane and in love all at the same time!
slaferriere@berklee.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
lilybear
Registered Users

I agree with the others. Rice cereal is pretty low risk on the allergy list. If you're only giving her a few tablespoons a day, it shouldn't interfere with breastfeeding at all. I think the first few months of starting solids is just "practice", as they will still get all they need nutritionally from breastmilk or formula. If you are concerned about allergies, just make sure you introduce new foods one at a time and watch your baby for any problems. My LO is 5 1/2 months also, and I just started giving her rice cereal mixed with breastmilk once a day. She loves it and gobbles it right up.
lilybear is offline   Reply With Quote