Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2008, 02:57 AM   #11
danimdel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I introduce milk?

I just starting introducing organic whole milk to DD at 11 months. I chose to because my supply is decreasing and she was NOT satisfied with just BF and isn't big on solids yet and absolutely refused formula. Luckily I am able to pump milk to mix with it and I do 3bm): 1 (cow's milk). My ped mentioned the iron problem, but she is still getting mostly BM and only about 4 oz of cows milk each day so I am not concerned. Ped did say I can start vitamins to supplement iron, but I chose not to. Anyway, mixing was the only way I got her to take it. Probably not too helpful if you can't pump...sorry

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 05:59 AM   #12
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well.... other than juice or water or sprite dd really likes Yogurt drinks. Whenever I have to be away from her and have no milk pumped, she gets yogurt. We don't do it on a regular basis or anything, but she loves it. Maybe try that? And I know what you mean about wanting em to have something else to drink, unfortunately, my DD's new favorite drink is now Sprite, thanks to my MIL. But.... I let her have it when we go out to eat or something, but outside of that.... no. Anyhoo - maybe consider the yogurt. On the tofu, I'm not real sure, not real familiar w/ it, despite my vegetarian mother's urges. I know my DD really just likes ground beef as far as any meat type thing goes.... I think she'd LOVE sausage, but it's probably still a lil too spicy - or maybe it's just me sitting here in the a.m. craving it
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:20 AM   #13
ohhdear
Registered Users

My DS hates milk - I have tried cows, goat, soy, almond, you name it - I've tried it. So we have started giving him, cereal for breakfast and put milk in it. So at least he is getting a little - I also make sure he gets cheese during the day. We still BF about 2-3 times a day.

As for the meat - not sure about the Tofu but you can also try to add beans to your son's diet.

HTH - Melanie
Old 11-24-2008, 06:58 AM   #14
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

We just introduced milk last week. My DD is extremely small (off the charts for weight, 50% for height) and her Dr. wants us to bulk her up with more calories and thinks my BM doesn't have enough calories or she's just not getting enough when she nurses (even though I know I'm full). Anyhow, he suggested replacing nursing sessions with sippy cups of whole milk. Instead of eliminating nursing sessions, I've just been offering her sippy cups of whole milk with her meals and snacks. She's still nursing about the same amount as before because I refuse to believe whole milk is better than BM. I just won't tell the Dr. that. I've also been mixing DD's rice cereal with either BM or whole milk (if I don't have fresh pumped BM).

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #15
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah, was gonna mention my DD also loves refried beans... We eat alot of mexican food around here - it's my fave!
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:18 AM   #16
iggyloo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually gave soymilk before cows milk. I figured that the soymilk tasted more like breastmilk since they are both sweet, and a thinner liquid. Cows milk was definitely more of a challenge to get my dd to drink it, but I would just give her a little, and pretend to share the cup of milk with her. That did the trick. I also don't give it with meals. She has it with her snacks, 3 times a day.

My dd is also very lean and tall. She has always been below 50% for weight, but always over 85% for height.

I wouldn't worry about the milk as much as the food that he is eating. Just pick as many foods packed with as many nutrients as possible. Im always worried about my dd getting enough iron, so I make sure to give her alot of dried fruits since they are full of iron and they are very versitale.

Also, I give my dd tofu. Not all the time, but if we've got it, she'll get some.

Just use your judgement and Im sure you will make the right decision for both of you. good luck.
iggyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #17
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't want to give my still nursing 15 month old cow's milk because of the hormones and antibiotics they give to cows but wanted to give her something in a cup so we tried hemp milk. It's great. She love it and it's so good for you. We get it at a natural food store but if you can't find it, I've hears goats milk is very close to human milk. Oh and your ped is lying if they're saying your milk isn't nutritious anymore. Why would it be ok when your lo is 11 months and 29 days but not 12 months and 1 day? The nutritional value of bm doesn't go away, even elderly sometimes get pumped bm if they're immuno compromised.
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote