Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
Rechellef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Bites all the time & won't stop - weaning help

My younger DD will be 1 on the 28th. I let my last DD self-wean which she did when she was 15 months old. Since this is my last baby I was hoping to nurse her at least 18 months. However, this biting thing is becoming insane and painful. Almost every time she leaves tooth marks on my nipples and/or pops off with the nipple in her teeth (this is impossible to predict and makes me yelp). I have tried everything suggested on Kellymom and the LLL pages and still, nothing works. I have gently pried her bottom jaw off the breast and firmly said "no biting", I have detached her and made sure the latch was good, and I have also pushed the breast up against her mouth to force her to let go. I spend half our nursing session trying to get her teeth off the flesh of my nipple. I can't take much more and no matter what I do, she won't stop as it has been going on for weeks now. I am thinking I might have to wean her to save my poor nipples as I can't take much more and none of the solutions I have researched are working AT ALL!!! If I end up having to go the weaning route, how should I go about doing that? She will ocassionally take formula, so she doesn't hate the stuff, but she is definitely a boobaholic.

Advertisement

Rechellef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Husky359
Registered Users

Re: Bites all the time & won't stop - weaning help

Ouch! My ds is only 9 months with no teeth up top, so I don't have any personal experience. But our nurse at the ped office has nursed 9 babies and she said she flicks them on their cheek when they do it. I thought that sounded so mean, but reading your post, maybe it's what you need to try!
Husky359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
mama_llama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't really have any suggestions for you... but I'm right there with you! My Dd will be 1 on the 24th and the last few days she has started doing the exact same thing. I can't get her to get a good latch... she is using teeth constantly! I thought maybe she was not getting any milk for some reason. I wonder if it has to do with molars coming in and pain? Hopefully someone can give us some suggestions. I am going to wean right to milk in a sippy when the time comes I think.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
mfnusz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no suggestions for you as i'm in a similar situation. DS was one last month and i planned to nurse until 2 or until he weaned himself but the last couple weeks he has been using his teeth a LOT. he is not *biting* me, but they just rub on my boob and it HURTS!
mfnusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:26 AM   #5
Melhen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, I need help as well. My differently abled nearly 18 month old bites all the time, so much I bleed and pus. I don't think he knows how to release by opening his mouth. As he pulls off, he is scraping his teeth and biting down. As my mom and sister have jokingly said, "I don't see how you even have a nipple left at all." My mom wants me to get him off--no weaning--just take it away. He is always so fussy and it ends up being a great comfort for me and him (until he bites). My breast hurts so much all the time. It is hard and feels like it is on fire. Am I supposed to squeeze the pus out before feeding him (I do)? Thanks for all your help.
Melhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:31 AM   #6
Melhen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and he has been doing this since the arrival of his first tooth back in April, so when he was 10 months old.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
robertribeye
Registered Users
seller

my dd started this and I promptly and quickly would yank my breast away and yell no. I HAS to startle them! then I would sit her on the floor, I mean split second reaction. She would cry. I would give it a minute then let her nurse, it took a couple of times. They catch on. She was around 13 months then and her teeth were sharp. We continued until she self weaned at around 16 months. Good luck ladies.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
Melhen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish it were that easy with my guy. I've tried removing and saying no. He thinks it is funny. I've tried completely getting off breast but I end up so full and he gets so fussy and grabbing at them. I've tried flicking the cheek. A LLL mother suggested drawing close to breast and smother just for a second. It didn't work either. He gets a bottle a lot more now than ever. He gets to start on mommy and when he bites, he gets a bottle. Usually only nurses/bottlefed at nap and bedtimes. Thanks for all the help, ladies.