Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
nkintzel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
BLW and Daycare?

OK. So, Ethan is a little over 6 months old. We exclusively breast feed. Recently, he started showing a little interest in food, so I tried a few things out. I really wanted to do BLW. We started with little cubes of smooshed sweet potatoes on his tray. Total mess, and he didn't really seem interested at all.

I was OK with the mess, but my husband HATES it.

We waited awhile after that. I tried bananas, avocados and butternut squash. All smooshed and steamed soft (except the bananas and avocados). He didn't really seem interested at all.

I bought a spoon and I've tried giving him a few bites of smooshed sweet potatoes mixed with breastmilk. The first time, he really seemed to like it and enjoy eating off the spoon. But, not at all since then.

Anyway, so, I really want to keep on with the BLW. Ethan is sitting up and can grab stuff. His tongue thrust reflex is gone. But, he just really doesn't seem that interested in the food once its there.

So, my question is, has anyone done this with their daycare? I'm just not really sure what to do when he really does start eating food from his tray. I know it will continue to be messy. But, I really don't want to do any purees. THey told me that they'll get the organic purees at daycare, if I want, but I really don't want to. But, I know they aren't really set up to have a kid smooshing food all over the place.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Lynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BLW and Daycare?

Yes, I did BLW with DD when she was in daycare. When she hit 6 months, her teacher started asking about giving her food. At first I said that we were starting solids but that we were just doing one meal a day, at home. Once DD actually seemed to be eating food and not just playing with it I started sending food to DC. I printed out all the info on BLW from this page and told them that I would be sending in finger foods for her, not purees. I usually ended up just sending leftovers for her most days. Leftovers of whatever veggies we'd had the night before at first, and then regular leftovers and she got older and was eating more types of food. It was a mess, but I just sent extra clothes and did a lot of extra laundry. Her teachers were really interested in it when I gave them the article to read and were very much in favor of doing it, so that helped a lot.

Good luck!

My knitting patterns|Licensed knitters
Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
nkintzel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm...I don't know if they will allow me to bring my own food in. They are state-accredited and have some crazy rules. If they will, then that is definitely going to be my choice. Thanks for posting the link to that site. I've read it before, but its a good idea to bring it in to my daycare teachers.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Lynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkintzel View Post
Hmm...I don't know if they will allow me to bring my own food in. They are state-accredited and have some crazy rules. If they will, then that is definitely going to be my choice. Thanks for posting the link to that site. I've read it before, but its a good idea to bring it in to my daycare teachers.
Oh, I hadn't thought of that. At DD's daycare we had to provide all of the food ourselves in the infant room. This was a very good, NAEYC-accredited center, so if your place tries to tell you that you can't do that, make them show you exactly where it says so (it may in fact say so, but I would want to be 100% sure). Otherwise see if they can give him some of the food that the older kids eat, maybe?

My knitting patterns|Licensed knitters
Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
nkintzel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sure that they will be straight with me about the requirements. They've been super accomodating about cloth diapers and breast milk and me coming in to nurse, and me sending Ethan in an amber teething necklace. hahaha! They're very cool. Just...mainstream.

I will check with them. They provide all the food, but it might be OK for me to bring some. I don't know about feeding him the stuff the other kids eat. I think that will work when he's bigger, but they do stuff like...home made chili, and soups and that kind of thing. So, for the mean time anyway, its a bit much! haha!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

when the time comes, we plan to just feed her solids at home and stick with breastmilk at daycare and all that. Baby doesn't need solids offered 3 times a day
Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I run my own in-home daycare and would not be cool with the mess. I do try to accomodate my "parents" as much as possible but I do not have time to be cleaning smashed food out of my carpet. A center would be different though.....it sounds like they have been great about cloth diapering and whatnot so perhaps they could work on this with you. I actually have never heard of a daycare center willing to do CD so congrats on that! Either way, sounds like you have some progress to make at home first. If they are not eating for you, I cannot imagine that that will be different at daycare.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
nkintzel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the thoughts, mama.

Yes, my daycare has been very cool. I'm not going to make them teach him to eat, just not sure what to do about it when he finally does start eating. Right now, yeah, he isn't interested. But he will be!

I was also kind of thinking about having them give him some food (solids) during the day, so that I don't have to pump as much. Not like, three meals, but I thought if I could switch/replace one BM bottle during the day, that would help SO much. It seems like I'm always struggling to keep up with his demand. I read on workandpump.com that it might be helpful to just do a little solids during the day to help with the pumping thing.

*sigh* I guess for right now we'll just keep on truckin' along. He's doing fine on breastmilk. And we are keeping up, just barely! haha!