Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2008, 05:49 PM   #21
jennym91005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: $135 a day for daycare!!! I'm so frustrated :( (long)

i used to watch my godson all day for $25. it was fun, i made some extra cash, and my friend got cheap, reliable care for her son. dude, that woman is asking waaaaaaay too much!

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #22
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, that's insane. I might as well quit school now and open a childcare center now if I can make that kind of money! LOL!

It wouldn't even be worth going to work. Seriously. I hope you can find something reasonable.

Oh, and I pay $20/day to the lady who watches my dd once a week. I pay $30/day to the preschool she goes to the other 2 days I'm in school.
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #23
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom23kids View Post
Wow, that's insane. I might as well quit school now and open a childcare center now if I can make that kind of money! LOL!

It wouldn't even be worth going to work. Seriously. I hope you can find something reasonable.

Oh, and I pay $20/day to the lady who watches my dd once a week. I pay $30/day to the preschool she goes to the other 2 days I'm in school.
Might not be a bad idea ... a friend of mine once worked out with her 7th grade Language Arts class how she could earn more per day doing daycare than what she made as a full-time teacher. I'm pretty sure she factored in hours she worked that weren't "contracted" (meaning many teachers put in extra time after hours preparing, grading, etc.)

If you think about it, you could get licensed for 6 children (the mimumum here - max is 12 per provider). That's $25/day x 6 or $150 per day. Of course that's before expenses, like food or snacks. But in our area Catholic Family Services has a food program that many providers qualify for and they get some $$ for the children in their care. So, depending on how you look at it, DC isn't really a bad gig. It is w-o-r-k, however, and sometimes I think providers get into daycare thinking it's "easy" and you give up your home to daycare space. Not for everyone ... but I've known some ladies who really made it work for their family.
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #24
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is it possible that she meant $15 a day? Just saying, for what she is offering, that would seem a lot more reasonable...

NM! Just reread your post. Guess not.

Last edited by paper_girl_76; 11-28-2008 at 06:33 PM.
paper_girl_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #25
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaferriere@berklee.net View Post
Wow, that's really cheap. Why are you not going with any of these applicants?
I am - I interviewed them back in Oct for an Oct/Nov/Dec position and choose a provider I love. She can only continue through Dec because she starts a job in January. I thought this was going to be a temporary situation so I picked somebody who could continue through Dec only.

I just put out a second ad for January - I am getting new people because I am assuming that most of the people who had openings in October are now full, maybe not, then they will respond again...
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #26
doodah
Registered Users
seller

hope you find someone soon! I run an in-home daycare and charge $25.00 per day if they are permanent kids and $30.00 per day on the random drop ins. Home daycares are much cheaper in my area than daycare facilities but even the trendiest one here is $400.00 a week and this lady would be making more than that. I would set her straight by way of a gentle email. Obviously she has no clue what she is asking for and could use a heads up!

On a side note, home daycare has worked out for me but I can honestly say that most days I am more exhausted than I ever was at my office job. I don't think I get paid enough for all the crying, diapers and whatnot these kids throw at me. Most of my parents leave it to me to put their kids on a schedule, help them reach milestones, watch for sickness and actual parent them in many ways. I do not let them run wild or send them home after hours of sugar and tv.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:28 AM   #27
ElizasMommy606
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidisue View Post
She wouldn't even be coming to my house - this is for me to drop off DS at her house. When I have somebody come to my house to sit I pay $8/hour.

In MA where I live, on her part that is illegal. She is not allowed to watch kids in her home unless she has a state license.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:11 AM   #28
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have ds in "home daycare" (not a licensed provider) and I pay her $20/half day. I just took the going rate of a daycare in town for a full day and divided it by half (minus a little bit). I figured that was fair. He doesn't have much of a set schedule for when he goes and she's cool with that. She's just trying to make a little extra money. It works out perfectly for both of us.

We're expecting #5! "Quinn" coming July 2014!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #29
tiredmommyof8
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Holy Cow! $135 a day is excessive. In my area $25-$30 a day is the going rate for in home daycare. Good luck to you Heidi. I hope you are able to find the right person soon.

Kate~ Now an exhausted Mommy of 9!
ISO/IHA
tiredmommyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #30
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we pay $28/day/kid here. sounds like she has no clue what she's asking for. honestly, i'd write her off. if she's so ignorant of the most basic part of sitting, what else is she ignorant of, and how would that impact my child? I might send a fast email letting her know the going rate, but say something like, i don't think we'd be a good fit, thanks anyway. a person expecting $15/hr or a job won't be happy w/ $3ish/hour for the same job.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote