Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2006, 01:37 PM   #51
mamamac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I've gotta know...

I have never ever co-slept and never will. I have been a paramedic for 7 years and have seen what "accidently" happens in that situation 4 different times and one baby was over the age of two. When you witness something that involves a death of a baby, you don't forget it.

I don't even nurse in my bed, I make sure I get up and sit in the recliner or chair. I would not be able to live with myself if anything would happen. I am completely comfortable with my babies in their own cribs, down the hall, with the door closed, and monitor on.

On a side note...I would never judge someone differently if they do it. But I would tell them that if they are not careful (matress on the floor, no blankets or pillows, king size bed, ect. ) they may accidently kill their child.

Advertisement

Old 12-22-2006, 03:15 PM   #52
grace134
Registered Users
seller

I'm not against it by any means. I think it works great for a lot of people. I find that with a double bed and a 6'6" DH, bringing DS in there just means NO sleep for anyone. Plus DS thinks that having mommy right there means Mommy's All Night Breastfeeding Buffet. We all sleep better in our own beds.
grace134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #53
MommaBelt
waiting on response to fsot issue 4/11

i coslept with both of my kiddos until they were about 1 or a little longer.. I saw one person said somethign about sleep apnea.. my S/O has been diagnosed with this.( my ex husband never had it) so I was wondering if I should skip co sleeping this time??? I dont think I would give it up easily....
MommaBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:22 PM   #54
weddell
Registered Users
seller

I just wanted to make one comment about your plans. Whether you co-sleep or not (it's really up to you), the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that the baby sleep in the parents room for the first few (6, I think) months in order to reduce SIDS. Having the parents there keeps the baby from getting into too deep of sleep and stopping breathing. Of course they recommend that the baby sleep in a crib or other baby bed, and all of us here don't follow that, but I just wanted to make sure that you knew the current recommendations for SIDS.

As for co-sleeping. I certainly never planned on it. At around 2 months old, DD would fall back to sleep after nursing, but as soon as I set her down in her bassinet she would wake up. After two weeks or so of no sleep because of this and me starting to feel total insane, her dr told me that if I wanted, I could let her sleep in our bed. The first night I let her sleep in our bed, she slept through the night. When we have another, we will probably start them out in their own bed, but if co-sleeping is the only way for me to get some sleep, I'll do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannondicarpo View Post
Thanks for all of the input and honesty. My DH and I are, as seen in my sig, expecting our first this Spring, and though we are against it for reasons such as feeling like we will lose that quality time that we get at night and not wanting to have a school-age child still in our bed long after we intended to, we wanted to hear from those of you who are experienced. I know that we will likely have the baby in our room for a few days or weeks but then off to the nursery. I do plan to exclusively BF and will have to see how it all works out but I am sure that there are mamas on here who EBF without their baby by their side all night. Thanks again for all of the input. Alot of it was very insightful.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #55
BunnyMcFluff
Registered Users
seller

Both of us coslept with our older kids--dh with his dd when she was little, and me with my two when they were little. We're having a baby any day now, and we plan to co-sleep with him, too.

I love sleeping with my babies, and I can't wait to snuggle up with this one in bed, too!
Old 12-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #56
Getz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Since your baby isn't here yet, I will say Never say Never. It is easy to say what you will and won't do, but once that little one gets here and won't sleep by himself, any sleep is good!

I co-slept for the first few months, or Nicky slept near me in the car seat/bouncy seat/pack n play. I was so paranoid about being able to feel him breath I needed him close.

He slept in his crib for a few months and it was great, but then I got pregnant and began napping w/ him every day. He quickly realized that he loved sleeping w/ me more and now we co-sleep. I love it but would also love having my bed back (Nicky and I sleep in the guest room)! I am not sure the cats would agree w/ me, they love having the extra room w/ DH!

DH is traveling for most of next month and I think we will try to transition back into the crib. It think it will just be easier once the new baby gets here that Nicky is in his own room.

So I say find what works for your family. I would try to get through the first few months the best you can then focus on getting baby in his crib (if you determine that's what you want). I don't think there is anything wrong w/ co-sleeping or crib sleeping as long as everyone is getting good sleep that way.

Last edited by Getz; 12-22-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Getz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:58 PM   #57
ThreeBunniesMoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: I've gotta know...

We cosleep and love it! They are only little for so long and grow up WAY too fast. Plus dd1 was out of our bed by 2yo and dd2 was out of our bed at 18mos. Their choice not mine! We currently cosleep with dd3 who is 10mo it makes night time nursing SO much easier!
Old 12-22-2006, 09:59 PM   #58
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz View Post
Since your baby isn't here yet, I will say Never say Never. It is easy to say what you will and won't do, but once that little one gets here and won't sleep by himself, any sleep is good!

I co-slept for the first few months, or Nicky slept near me in the car seat/bouncy seat/pack n play. I was so paranoid about being able to feel him breath I needed him close.

He slept in his crib for a few months and it was great, but then I got pregnant and began napping w/ him every day. He quickly realized that he loved sleeping w/ me more and now we co-sleep. I love it but would also love having my bed back (Nicky and I sleep in the guest room)! I am not sure the cats would agree w/ me, they love having the extra room w/ DH!

DH is traveling for most of next month and I think we will try to transition back into the crib. It think it will just be easier once the new baby gets here that Nicky is in his own room.

So I say find what works for your family. I would try to get through the first few months the best you can then focus on getting baby in his crib (if you determine that's what you want). I don't think there is anything wrong w/ co-sleeping or crib sleeping as long as everyone is getting good sleep that way.

Exactly! Never Say Never!
Old 12-24-2006, 07:14 AM   #59
momof4
Registered Users
seller

All my 4 have been BF for over a year, and none have ever slept in my bed past the first month, when sometimes we would both fall asleep together because we were that exhausted. I do like having little ones in a bassinet in my room, though. Once they're only waking up once a night, it's time to have their own space, but I often will have DS start the night in his crib next door, and finish it in the crib in my room where I can plunk him as soon as he's done eating. Especially with all the colds he keeps getting, it's a good compromise.

My kids are lighter sleepers, and if DH or I want to talk or sing or work in our room, it's nice to be able to do so without waking a little one!