Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
Asher'sMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question Pumping help

First of all, let me say I am not pumping to increase my supply and I know that my pumped output is not indicative of my supply. DS is growing fine and is content so I am not worried about my supply. My question is how to get more milk at each pumping session? I returned to work recently (just one day a week, 12 hour shift) and I am only able to pump about 10 oz at work. I know that a large portion of it has to do with being unable to relax, but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions on how to increase the pumping output when I am away from DS.

Advertisement

and P (17)
Forever missing our Bee (twin B) 10/3/14
Praying for baby coming in May
Asher'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pumping help

A few ?s: How many times during the shift are pumping and for how long? - I get several letdowns a pump and I usually do 20 - 25 mins.

I also do compressions when I pump at the end, just to see if I can get a little more out.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
Asher'sMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I try to pump at least 2 times during the shift (usually 4 hours apart). I feed DS right before I leave, pump at 9 am, pump again usually at 1 or 2ish (depending on what's going on with my patients, I'm a RN) and then I haven't been pumping again around 5-6 b/c my shift ends at 7 and I want to go home with "full" breasts and DS nurses again when I pick him up. I am typically pumping for 15-20 minutes.
and P (17)
Old 12-01-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with pp about the letdowns. If you aren't getting 2 letdowns per session, I would probably try to pump longer to wait for that second letdown as most women do have 2 each session (1 for foremilk and 1 for hindmilk). Also, I've found that when I decrease the time between sessions and increase the # of pumpings, I get more. So, maybe try to add a session either by pumping every 3 hours instead or by pumping after only 2 first thing in the AM and then 4 and 4. I'm sure you have a great supply, but since pumping isn't as effective as the baby, you might want to try to increase your supply during the day so you can get more out by drinking Mother's Milk tea or taking fenugreek or whatever. The extra pumping will definitally help increase your supply too and after it bumps up some, you can probably go back to every 4 hours and still get the extra. I know some women find having a photo of their baby to look at and think about while they are pumping can help with letdown and relaxing. The other option would be to add a pumping session at night at home after the baby goes to sleep. I do that for a stash. Good luck. I hope you can begin to pump the amount you want.

ETA-I just reread your OP and see that you only work 1 day per week. I don't know if I would want to increase my supply just for one day a week. I think if you need more BM than you are pumping while at work, you should try to add a pumping session in at home on the days you don't work. Then, you'll have it in the fridge already. Fresh BM is good for 5 days in the fridge. I've seen sites say 5-7, but I've noticed that 7 is really pushing it and 5 is better. (I pump a lot for my twins.)

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 12-01-2008 at 08:08 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

A friend of mine had great success increasing the amount she got from pumping using the tips from this video:

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html
CEVmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEVmommy View Post
A friend of mine had great success increasing the amount she got from pumping using the tips from this video:

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html
What a great video!!! Thanks for sharing that!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

Oh...I'm going to have to try that out. That video was fabulous!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ahh, I see how timing can be an issue, especially if you are on a busy floor. If you can't pump for an additional 5 - 10 mins to see if you get a 2nd or 3rd letdown then I would try the PP suggestion of adding a pumping session at home, possibly in the morning as that is when you have the most milk.

Definitely try breast compressions and drinking lots of water before pumping.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
Asher'sMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the video link! That was great...and not only for me, since I work in a NICU...now I can suggest it to the moms!
and P (17)
Old 12-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also pump alot.. ATM Im exclusively pumping for my NICU baby, so I have a few suggestions.. but he's due for his feeding in 15 minutes so I need to head back into the NICU.. but I'll be back later to add some suggestions