Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Breastfeeding only at night

Weaning my 15 mo old daughter has been a very gradual process. I pumped while at work and sent breast milk for daycare until she was around 11 1/2 mo. After that, I started sending a sippy cup of cow's milk, soy milk (or now goat's milk too...we alternate) to daycare during the day and only nursed her in the morning and in the evenings (more on weekends). At around 13 mo. I cut out the mornings, and she certainly didn't seem to miss it one bit.

From here, I'm not really sure where to go. There have been probably 5 or 6 times since then that I have put her straight to bed without breastfeeding her, but then I do the next night. She doesn't seem to fuss for it when we don't; however, she does still seem to enjoy it when we do, and I am certainly having a hard time letting go.

In your opinion, would this be a good time to just let go, or is there really enough benefit to warrant continuing breastfeeding only once a day? DD has always been a good eater AND sleeper! In comparison to the average toddler, she eats very healthfully. We feed her whole grains, tofu, beef and chicken is rare but when she has it, it is mostly (wish I could say ALL the time) bought local at the farmer's market or at the health food store, fish, organic dairy including yogurt (okay...cheese is rarely organic b/c it's just too dang expensive, mostly organic fruits and veggies (dirty dozen and beyond) and very little processed foods period.

Thanks for any help. I kind of feel like it's time, because I don't want it to be a traumatic thing for her to give up as she gets older and even more aware, but at the same time, I will surely miss it, and if there is a good reason to continue, I will...but probably no more than 18 mo. Okay...this is long and rambly...sorry.

Advertisement

Last edited by 4BabyUnit; 12-02-2008 at 12:33 PM.
4BabyUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
mama_baker
Registered Users

Re: Breastfeeding only at night

That is when I completely weaned my son (at about 14 or 15 months). I would just read him an extra book before bed time, make sure you still get that cuddle time, that is generally what they like more than the actual milk

There isn't much benefit at this age, but there isn't any harm either. Way to go for breast feeding this long!!!

Hope that helps.
mama_baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for the support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_baker View Post
That is when I completely weaned my son (at about 14 or 15 months). I would just read him an extra book before bed time, make sure you still get that cuddle time, that is generally what they like more than the actual milk

There isn't much benefit at this age, but there isn't any harm either. Way to go for breast feeding this long!!!

Hope that helps.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You know...I've been thinking....I think my problem with it is that it just seems random now. Before it felt like I had definite reasons to drop this feeding or that feeding. Now, I feel like someone trying to quit smoking...like I just need to set a date or something. Did anyone else feel like that? What did you do?
Old 12-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was very sad when my son self weaned at 10 months but we were down to only nursing in the am and pm with breast milk bottles during the day. It's great that you have made it so far. I don't think it hurts to keep up the evening nursing sessions but it won't hurt to drop them, if that is what you want.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

*sigh*...just can't decide. I'm sooo wishy washy sometimes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greek4 View Post
I was very sad when my son self weaned at 10 months but we were down to only nursing in the am and pm with breast milk bottles during the day. It's great that you have made it so far. I don't think it hurts to keep up the evening nursing sessions but it won't hurt to drop them, if that is what you want.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
reagansmom05
Registered Users
seller

well, you might wean her and regret it later, but you won't ever regret not weaning her. my 16mo old still nurses and i know i would regret weaning him right now even though i think i could be possible.
is there something wrong with just nursing her at bed time? i believe there are still nutritional and health benefits at her age, as the WHO recommends nursing till age 2.
Anna, sahm to THREE boys [Reagan 4/25/05 & Hunter 7/17/07 & Logan 12/22/09 ] & one lost bean 2/15/09, Air Force Wife & SAHM. i love free gift cards from SWAGBUCKS!! EBATES and CloudCrowd and CASHBAQis where I earn paypal!! easy paid emails!!
reagansmom05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
thetoolmaster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is always a benefit to breastfeeding - even once a day, IMO... if your DD and you are both still enjoying that one feeding, I say keep it for as long as it's still working for you. BM always provides terrific immunological and health benefits (as a nice supplement to the healthful foods she's already eating ), plus there is the emotional component (the "comfort factor") of continuing the bfing relationship.

Of course, I'm one to talk...I'm still bfing both my boys - 3 1/2 yrs and almost 12mos! My "big boy" in particular is VERY attached to his "mommy food" and always has been...still nurses once in the AM and before bedtime at night.

Just to make your decision even harder...lol
thetoolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote