Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-26-2006, 03:38 PM   #11
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:
Re: It's headed right for us! HELP!!

My DS got really sick from a bad viral thing, not the flu, but anyway, he had freakin' awful vomitting and diarrhea. I've never seen a kid do either of those as much as he did for a FULL week! It was awful. It was only a few months ago too!!
Anyway, it was bad and DS was in the hospital 3 times because of dehydration and was admitted once. When it came down to it, you just get whatever you can into them in small amounts. Wait ~3 hours after he pukes before offering him anything else by way of mouth. If the vomiting is bad, don't be afraid to take him to the ER and have them give him fluids and some anti-vomiting meds if you think your kiddo needs it. They dehydrate really easily. Make sure they don't give him phennegran (sp?) it isn't safe for babies under 12 months and isn't recommended for babies under 2 years. It causes decreased respiratory rate. There's something else, that starts with a 'T'....Tigan!
Our whole bill at our local ER was written off because of the errors that were made when we went it. They prescribed both my son and myself the wrong medications. Either mistake could have ended a life (my current son's or #2 on the way.) We were not happy campers, to say the least!
Anyway, Jello, pedialyte, dilute juice and water, cream of wheat (watered down) etc. My DS got to where he associated food/liquids with vomitting again and that's why his virus ended up going so bad. All he wanted to do was nurse!! I was newly pregnant and my milk was starting to fade so it wasn't as much as he needed.
Then one day he decided he was really hungry and started to eat and drink again and everything's peachy keen now!
I hope your son doesn't get sick, its no fun!!

Advertisement

SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote