Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
KatieGrace
Registered Users
Formerly: katiebelle
seller
seller

My Mood:
Is this ok?

Katie is 7.5 months and I just started her on solids. She's had avacado for her first food (which she hated) and I jusy tried her on sweet potatoes today...She loved smeaing it all over her tray,of course,but when I try to feed her with a spoon she will make a funny face and gag. I will mix the puree (i make it myself) with water or breastmilk..She's been ebf'd up to this point...Is this pretty normal? I know we're just starting and the texture is pretty weird to her, I'm sure, but I just wanna make sure there's nothing wrong sine she doesn't seem to like it. She's only had solids for 4 days total,basically...I want her to like solids, of course, but I know it's something pretty different for her...What was your baby's first reaction to solids and how long did it take them to come around? TIA!

Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/kimberlyajones.origamiowl
KatieGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is this ok?

Shae tried steamed (til almost mush) carrots today. She picked it up, licked it and put it down. She's not a carrot kinda gal I guess. It was her first try at solids. I PUSHED solids with my son starting at 5 months. This time around I'm letting her take the lead. I think your baby's reaction is pretty dead on for normal its new and its different and she doesn't really even know its food since its not breastmilk. For all she knows, its another toy
with my son, I tried a food a week, every day, two or three times a day. I kinda made him eat it to be honest. I was 19 and didn't take the time to learn any different. He got into it after about 3 weeks.

I plan on giving Shae some potato in the next week or so and if she likes it then great, if it gets the same reaction as the carrot then great.
Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
KatieGrace
Registered Users
Formerly: katiebelle
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks!
https://www.facebook.com/kimberlyajones.origamiowl
KatieGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
jpiczon
Registered Users

My Mood:

My dd made a yuck face and gagged with almost every food she tried. I have read to just keep introducing the new food, sometimes it takes up to 15 times for them to come around and actually enjoy it! I just kept trying every day, for most new foods it took her about 5 tries to finally give in and she would smile like she was telling me "I guess its not so bad". Now she is almost 16 months old and will eat anything I put in front of her..
jpiczon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
Luke'sMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My son had a similar reaction the first couple of weeks we fed him solids. I think that it just took him some getting used to. He reacted the same way when we introduced pureed meats, too. Once he got used to the textures, he was fine. In fact, he eats anything I feed him. Just remember, it sometimes takes several introductions of a food before a child will accept it.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
takasmom
Registered Users

this sounds very very normal. i was sosoSO excited for DS's first solid food and prepared a tiny (i thought) baby sized portion of rice cereal and the heirloom baby spoon and bowl and then...he probably got a total of a half tsp in his mouth total. not at all what i had envisioned. as time goes on more will get into her mouth and she will become better coordinated at picking up, chewing, swallowing, letting you know her likes and dislikes and when she is finished. there are so many skills involved!! and you will also come to know better what her preferences are in terms of texture, temperature, tastes.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Jenney17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's a texture issue. It takes a while to get used to it fir some LOs. Don't worry Mama. She won't get most of her nutrition form solids for a long time yet.