Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
MCmom3
Registered Users
seller

Re: calcification of the placenta at 33-34 wks?

Sounds scary to me, but I don't know anything about it. I'd say if she said not to worry too much over the next two weeks, that it is at least not an immediate problem?

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
iKim
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All I am finding online says that it is common in smokers and with women with Pre E. Neither of which apply to me...
Old 12-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
asteiner18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well i googled it and it doesnt *seem* to corrolate with problems... some think it can be from eating to many tums ( which are a class C med. i didnt know that, no more tums for me) i saw the pre-e thing to, i had pre-e and it was never mentioned *shrug*
Angel wife to the love of my life Brandon and mother to Scarlette 5/07 Ruby 1/09 and with #3 due with another sweet daughter in September <3

Angel Murphy Photography
asteiner18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:01 AM   #4
natalie143
Registered Users

this happened to me at around 33-34 weeks with baby #1(im not preg with baby#2)..
my doctor said to come in after a week so we can see if the growth is getting better... i went in after a week but it seemed like baby hadn't grown much at all... his estimated weight was 2kg... we went for some nst's cuz i was having a lot of tightening which they thought were contractions.... so i was monitored through those for a week... at about 35 1/2 weeks we had another scan and again they said placenta looks pretty calcified and baby is not growing so its a good idea to take him out...they felt the benefits outweighed the risk (i had a lot of complications at the end..) so we delivered him through c-section at 36 weeks.. he was fine and healthy and weighed in at 2.68(MUCH bigger than the scan showed)

I didnt get to see my placenta because i kept having visitors (even in recovery it was crazy lol) but my gynae said that my placenta was A LOT worse then she had thought.

if u need any advice or would like to share more of your story plz dont hesitate to PM me cuz ive been there

btw, i did not do any of the things the internet says causes calcification.. i have NEVER smoked in my life, i am not around smokers. hmm although i did take gaviscon a few times in my second trimester(but not thaaaaaaaat much)

I am now preg with #2.. didn't take any extra meds this pregnancy and am really hoping it doesnt happen again, i wonder what the odds are that it will happen again

make sure to pay attention to your kick counts just to make sure baby is well
natalie143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
oherin
Registered Users

My Mood:

Calcification of the placenta is a medical term that indicates it is hardening / aging. Since the placenta is a temporary organ, it ages along with the pregnancy. Calcification is a normal process, but can cause complications if the placenta ages too quickly.

With my first pregnancy, my son was born still at 34 weeks. Although this was not attributed as the cause of our loss, my placenta did appear more calcified than normal, so I had tons of questions for my midwife and care providers about it. I did not smoke or have pre E. My midwife said that diet can affect the placenta development and some of the healthiest placentas she has seen are from vegans. That said, I am no where near being a vegan, but have a maintained a healthy diet during my current pregnancy.

I also consulted the internet as well. I don't put too much stock in the report on Tums. A calcium rich diet does not cause calcification of the placenta. If Tums contributed to this then so would any dairy products.

I also agree with the previous post about doing kick counts. It's good that your care provider is monitoring the situation. Sounds like you are in good hands. If you get anxious, you can always request a non stress test to monitor how the baby is doing.
oherin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
isabel249
Registered Users
seller

My placenta had a lot more calcification than normal with Isabel but the dr. didn't seem worried about it.

I had her at 39 weeks, 2 days. She was 6lbs, 9oz and perfectly healthy.

My placenta had problems coming out though. It was in pieces after the delivery and wouldn't come out and my dr. had to stick her arms/hands into my uterus and dig all the pieces out.

Just my experience.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
4HisGlory
Registered Users
Formerly: 2&1ontheway
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabel249 View Post
My placenta had a lot more calcification than normal with Isabel but the dr. didn't seem worried about it.

My placenta had problems coming out though. It was in pieces after the delivery and wouldn't come out and my dr. had to stick her arms/hands into my uterus and dig all the pieces out.

Just my experience.
umm..that sounds painful

I don't have any experience with this but I just wanted to give because i know it is stressful when they mention something is out of the ordinary and then tell you not to worry about it! If it is nothing to worry about don't tell me!..lol
Old 12-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
isabel249
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HisGlory View Post
umm..that sounds painful

I don't have any experience with this but I just wanted to give because i know it is stressful when they mention something is out of the ordinary and then tell you not to worry about it! If it is nothing to worry about don't tell me!..lol
Yeah! lol- it was. Not a pleasant experience (or the rest of my birth)

Anyway to the original poster- I wanted to share because I don't know if that had to do with the calcification or not. If I were you I would see if you could get more info about this from your dr. Hope the same thing does NOT happen to you but at least you could be prepared for the possibility.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #9
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabel249 View Post

Just my experience.
My OB never mentioned that my placenta was calcified to me but when DD was born (1wk overdue) I had to have the same done to my placenta.