Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Exclamation Help! My kid is a mama milk junkie!

My fabulous little angel has recently turned into a crab, and I think it's because I've cut out daytime nursing. She will be 2 next month. I am 17 weeks pregnant, I work full-time (she stays home with daddy), and for the past 2 weeks I've had horrible bronchitis. For 4 weeks now I've cut out mid-day nursing (which we didn't do every day anyway, since I'm not always here when she naps).

In the past 2 weeks she's started to throw tantrums, which had been super-rare til now. Now at least twice a day we have throwing-stuff-kicking-hitting-screaming-rolling-on-floor tantrums. Sometimes they're even at 4 in the morning. They can last a full 2 hours. She used to sleep well, waking only once for milk, but now she usually wakes at least twice demanding milk.

All of the books said she'd adjust and after a little bit of time I could try taking away another nursing session. But I swear she's getting worse! I want to wean because it really really hurts me - she feels like a piranha but I know it's just me being pregnant. Plus I'm exhausted all the time and I really need the sleep. If it's this bad with just daytime weaning, I can't imagine what bedtime would be like. She will not even entertain the idea of sleep without nursing.

What am I doing wrong????? She's almost 2! I hung in there as long as I could! If I wasn't pregnant I don't think i'd be so desperate. But every time she latches on it makes me cry because it hurts so bad, and that makes me a really grouchy mama, and that's no good for anyone. My hubby is supportive, but feels like he doesn't have the skills to help.

he tells me to leave for the weekend. Well, that sounds awful to me - and I never get to see my kid thru the week anyway. Plus knowing her she'd just want to nurse more than ever afterwards, so why put us through that trauma anyway. The neighbor lady says to put something that tastes yucky on my nipple. I just don't know! Any advice is welcome!

Wife to my furry-faced SAHD 10-14-05
Mama to Cricket 1-18-07 and Mauri 5-27-09
cricketsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:24 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Help! My kid is a mama milk junkie!

Do you think she would take a paci for the comfort? Maybe she just needs the sucking and you can hold her while she uses it? Let her know it hurts you when she nurses, like if she latches on say OWE really loud and than say like milkies hurt or something, be dramatic. I think you need to let her know it hurts you this bad, I mean she is 2 and I don't think she can really understand if not done on her level ya know? The putting stuff on your nipples might backfire IMO, she might love the taste of icky stuff like my son, haha, he loves hot sauce and vinegar and onions, lol. Plus, I don't think you want to make nursing a bad experience to remember. I hope you figure something out!
*Tarah* "Mom-ma" to Dallas Oct. '07 & Coen June '09
Missing their Daddy who is currently deployed
tarah1218 is offline   Reply With Quote