View Poll Results: What should I do?
Push the baby food. She needs it. 4 3.60%
Straight to table food. She needs it. 11 9.91%
Just EBF. 71 63.96%
other (please explain) 25 22.52%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2006, 09:18 PM   #41
GrandIsp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need Opinions

I said 'other' because I think you should breastfeed as much as you/she wants, and offer her the table foods you mentioned, in addition to adding others periodically - but not because she really 'needs it', just because it's good to expose her to those options without forcing the issue, so when she is ready to want/need more then she will be accustomed to them. Something like that.

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2006, 09:46 PM   #42
A'smommy
Registered Users

I didn't feed DD any solids til she was 8 mos. old. She didn't like it much then either. Now she is 20 months and a little chow hound. She especially loves "sheeeeese".

Some midwives say babies don't need solids til one year of age, but I didn't worry about feeding DD solids til she started grabbing off my plate (which happened before one year). If your DD is healthy and thriving, I don't think you need to worry about pushing the baby food or table food. Our pedi finally threw up his hands at about 8 months and said, "Just give her a little of whatever you're eating"----but the dog ended up with most of whatever we gave her (either from dropping or from her deliberately feeding him). Now though, if he begs she'll tell him to "Go!"

As long as she's growing and gaining I wouldn't worry. BFing is good nutrition and good insurance for a picky eater.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:57 PM   #43
reborin
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeytoesmama View Post
Other. Just ebf is fine but I would make finger/table food available to her so she can experiment if she wants. But nutritionally she doesn't NEED it.
Nutritionally you can make milk for her for 2 years and if that's all she ate - ever - she'd be FINE. So don't let anyone tell you that she NEEDS anything except YOU.

However, I do think it's good for kids to learn to be curious and experiment with food. This is a good thing, imho, because they will be better, more diverse eaters later in life. Maybe. Well, it increases the chances that they'll eat curries and mushrooms and fritatatas and funky seafood. If they have no exposure to it, they really are less likely to even try it later on. kwim? Making the food available to her, and encouraging her in little, easy going ways, is so not a problem that it might nudge her along. When she IS ready, she'll let you know!
Old 12-28-2006, 01:48 PM   #44
ThreeBunniesMoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Need Opinions

My dd is 10 1/2 months old and EBF (she's 26lbs on bm alone thank you very much lol). She refuses baby food jarred or homemade. She nibbles on things off our plates but would rather bf than eat. I say when she's ready for food she will let you know. She's just fine ebf for now.

Last edited by ThreeBunniesMoma; 12-28-2006 at 01:58 PM.
ThreeBunniesMoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #45
huggerwocky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What do you mean by push them?
huggerwocky is offline   Reply With Quote