Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
justmarie17
Registered Users

Solids vs. supplementing w/ formula, and sleep help...

I have a post about this in the breastfeeding section too, but I figured the more eyes/advice the better! We started adding some solids a little after 5 months. DS is 6.5 months now, and some of what we have tried (including rice and oat cereals) has not agreed with him. He seems to do okay with banana and avacado, but doesn't always want to eat a lot of those (he prefers breastmilk). We started those a little "early" because I didn't have enough milk to satisfy his appetite, and I figured adding some solids would be better than formula (I'm just not comfortable giving him something dairy or soy based- he is already bothered by dairy when he breastfeeds when I drink too much milk). Any advice on formula alternatives? I've already tried doing everything I can to get my milk supply up, but it's just not enough for this hungry hippo. Also, his sleep has been just wretched the past few nights, after we fed him a lot of oat cereal. Now we've stopped the oat cereal. Has anyone else had sleep problems after starting solids? I thought it would be the other way around. He also broke out on his bottom (again after all the oatmeal), so maybe the sleep thing was related to whatever allergy problem he was having. What should I give this boy??? Thanks!!!!

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Solids vs. supplementing w/ formula, and sleep help...

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html

Solids shouldn't replace breastmilk or formula. They go along with it and your DS needs one of them for proper brain development, so I would definitly use formula if you feel there is a need.

You should also go SLOW SLOW with solids. Your little one is probably having a rough time digesting all the oatmeal. Keep in mind breastmilk is so easy to digest, so feeding him alot of oatmeal could have been an overload- does that make sense? So I would probably say sleep issue is from icky belly.

How many times does he nurse/ get breastmilk? If it is at LEAST 8 times a day then I would add 1 OUNCE of solids at dinner... For a week and then the following week add 1 OUNCE of solids to lunch (giving them to him AFTER he has had the breastmilk since it is WAY better for him) Do you make your own baby food?
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
preachingthecross
Registered Users
seller

Yeah what she said! Also what are you mixing the oatmeal with? Because your suppose to put it with breastmilk or formula? Ask your pedi about formulas. There are tons but if there is a lactose problem there is Enfamil Lacto-free. There is also nutramigen or alimentum that are a more broken down formula. Usually you can ask your pedi for samples too (just fyi they get tons of that stuff for free). I also do suggest making the baby food it makes a difference too! Blessings!
Old 12-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
justmarie17
Registered Users

Yes, I'm making my own baby food. I'm still breastfeeding him just as much (4-6 times a day, plus night feedings (1-3), I'm just trying to add something to fill him up because he still seems hungry. The oatmeal was actually oats that I ground up in the blender and cooked to a runny consistency, so I didn't have to add milk to it. I do think maybe we gave him too much, too quickly though from what you're suggesting. Maybe we should try oatmeal again slowly after he's had a good break from it? Thanks, mamas!