Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
crystaljh
Registered Users

My Mood:
Weaning soon b/c of a trip- Alternatives?

My DD is 10 months old. When she is 13 months my hubby and I will be going overseas on a week long trip. I will not be able to take my pump due to the nature of the trip. I am planning on weaning her before the trip (around her 1 year bday) so we can be done before the trip. She already drinks well out of a sippy and actually had pumped breastmilk from it the other night.
(Side note... I had mastitis right after she was born so I want to prevent having it again as I wean her)
Couple of questions though...
1) Any alternatives other than weaning in order to continue to breastfeed her after the trip since I won't be able to pump while over there (would like to at least continue morning and night bf when we get back)
2) If I do wean her before the trip, is it possible to regain/ bring back milk supply after the trip to do at least the am and pm feeding. Wanting to do it for the emotional / health benefits.

Advertisement

crystaljh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Re: Weaning soon b/c of a trip- Alternatives?

you could do hand expression...

what you would do is form a C with your hand, thumb side up and all the other fingers on the underside of your breast. Place your hand just above your areola and gently roll your hand backward, and then gently squeezing pull down, like you are milking yourself...which you are doing, again go back up your breast and down again.

Otherwise, would a manual handpump work?
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well... I have to ask - why, exactly, can you not pump on the trip?
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

I am wondering like an electricity issue or something maybe?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicap View Post
I am wondering like an electricity issue or something maybe?
But then there's always battery packs or a manual pump. - - - Or if you mean refrigeration - well... there's ways around that too... unless living in the boondocks miles from civilization........ even then I think I'd take a manual and pump and dump if i couldn't save the milk, just to keep my supply up.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Those are great options as well!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:02 AM   #7
crystaljh
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm not able to pump because of having lack of space for a pump (electric/ battery one). I took a hand pump and electric pump w/ me when we did an overnight trip a couple of months ago- I thought I was going to die- I was so engorged. For some reason, pumping doesn't help much over long periods of time. And, I do have a Medela pump I use.
I am very apprehensive about pumping for that time and being so engorged too because of having mastitis before.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:28 AM   #8
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

A couple of tips for pumping if you are experiancing engorgment with pumping....

The first one that comes to mind is to pump only til the last drop, do not pump any more after that, you just want to maintain your supply, you do not want to stimulate more.

If it is possible, get your breasts primed by standing in a warm shower or putting warm washclothes or towels over them. Then as you are pumping massage, gently, starting from the top of your breast and working downwards. Do this all around your breast. It will help the flow.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:20 AM   #9
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lack of space for a pump? You mean in your luggage? If you have a medela PIS or PISA, you can take it out of the bag and just take the pump & shields, etc. You don't have to pack the big huge carry bag.

Here's what I would do if I was you:
Start now at slowly halfway weaning your DD. My DD is 10 months as well. And after having a m/c recently my breasts have been left VERY sensitive. I don't want to completely wean DD, but I do want to break her total dependency on the breast, so over the last few days we've introduced Goat's Milk (closest thing to human milk). And she loves it. She was nursing about 8 times a day - and now were down to about 6. I'm hoping to narrow it down to about 3-4 sessions after her first birthday. Unless your DD is still nursing like a newborn and not eating well on solid food, as she may have been a couple months ago, you probably won't have as big an issue w/ engorgement as you did before. I can be away from my DD for about 8-10 hours and only pump 1 time and I'm fine. Sure, I'm extra full (not painfully full tho), but then for me it makes pumping easier and so forth. Now I think that she's decreasing her nursing frequency and she's drinking juice, goat's milk, and feeding herself solid food pretty well, I could probably go an entire 24 hour period pumping only twice, still.. being full, but not to the point of painful engorgement... So it's not really just about weaning your DD, but weaning your body. I would probably introduce supplementation now and still provide her the am/pm feeding just to work your body into the groove, because the less milk she's taking out now, the less you'll have after your body adjusts, making it less likely you're to get engorged. Oh me, idk if all this a mumbo jumboed together, i have a horrible headache, but..... do you get what I'm saying? You can always up your milk supply again when you get back from your trip if you wanna drop the excess supplementation by more frequently nursing and perhaps with the assistance of fenugreek, mother's milk plus, or other herbs/etc. . . . . . I hope you can make this work for you.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:40 AM   #10
crystaljh
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the help! My DD is eating well on solids and drinking from a sippy. I'll probably give it a try what you said.