Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #491
abraswell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Green & Thrifty...Making Your Own Detergent! (recipes pg 1 & 16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFan View Post
I only read the 1st and last pages, LOL, but how much money do you think the recipes are saving you?
I would like to know this too!

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #492
Ladybugsjoy
Registered Users
Formerly: u****ride
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraswell View Post
I would like to know this too!
Well.. in my case I think it's more expensive for the laundry soap version The bar soap was $4 and then the other two parts together is about 50 cents. And I'm thinking the whole batch is at max going to do 30 loads *if I'm lucky* But my fave soap that I get from walmart is about $3 and does 36 loads. But I do like that it's less chemicals, additives etc so that can be nice. My mom has really bad dry skin and laundry soap can effect her.. she can't use Tide due to all the crud in it, she breaks out in really nasty rashes. So I'm going to make her a batch for Christmas to try and see if she likes it. If so then it would be worth the cost for her for a nice smelling soap that doesn't have all the yucky chemicals that make her break out like other smelly laundry soaps do.

The diaper recipe though.. that's a lot cheaper I think at about 75 cents per batch I think I had it figured out.. can't even beat that at the dollar store!
http://www.etsy.com/ladybugsjoycreations
Ladybugsjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #493
meadowsong
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, I lie, haha. While in the grocery store tonight, I found Kirks for a little over $1 a bar. I think I'll save the Fels Naptha batch for my husbands dirty work clothes and use the Kirks in a new batch for ours

BTW, this is a great thread. Love it!!
Old 12-13-2008, 08:33 AM   #494
abraswell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavypride View Post
Well.. in my case I think it's more expensive for the laundry soap version The bar soap was $4 and then the other two parts together is about 50 cents. And I'm thinking the whole batch is at max going to do 30 loads *if I'm lucky* But my fave soap that I get from walmart is about $3 and does 36 loads. But I do like that it's less chemicals, additives etc so that can be nice. My mom has really bad dry skin and laundry soap can effect her.. she can't use Tide due to all the crud in it, she breaks out in really nasty rashes. So I'm going to make her a batch for Christmas to try and see if she likes it. If so then it would be worth the cost for her for a nice smelling soap that doesn't have all the yucky chemicals that make her break out like other smelly laundry soaps do.

The diaper recipe though.. that's a lot cheaper I think at about 75 cents per batch I think I had it figured out.. can't even beat that at the dollar store!
My dd#2 is so sensitive. I was using Gain Mango -which I love the smell- but DD itches all the time now and has scratches where she has been itching. I use Country Save with diapers. I just recieved samples of Simply Clean and so far I love it. The smell is so wonderful. But I would still like to try to make my own. It is just so hard to find anything in this podunk town.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #495
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thank you so much for posting this! I saw the Duggars making thier own detergent on TV and have since wanted to try it. We have major stinkies in our mf's and always have used vinegar... now i know!
Old 12-14-2008, 10:35 PM   #496
Catherine87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so glad to come across this post! I really want to start using homemade detergents for our clothes and dipes!!
Catherine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:13 AM   #497
BleedingBlack
Registered Users

My Mood:

Okay I have read ALL 50 pages lol.... crazy! I REALLY want to try the detergents, but I have some questions about the diaper detergent...

I use all BumGenius 3.0s...on the website they say NOT to use baking soda or vinegar. So, will using the Soda Wash harm the dipes in anyway? I dont want them to repell or the PUL or elastic to fail.

Those of you who have used the diaper detergent and use BG 3.0s... please give me your reviews!
2 DDs Due with #3: August 30th, 2010!
ISO: Preemie & NB AIOs or Pockets or Patooshie Pants
IHA: 4 girly unknown WAHM Fitteds, S/M/L Maternity Clothing
BleedingBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:32 AM   #498
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

So I'll admit I didnt read the entire 50pages (I will try during nap today) but was hoping some one would save me and tell me what I can use for my hemp inserts. I saw that the borax(oh crap or was it the soda?) would stay in the hemp and burn the booty so can someone please tell me what I can safely use on the hemp?
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #499
Love4leon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sweets View Post
So I'll admit I didnt read the entire 50pages (I will try during nap today) but was hoping some one would save me and tell me what I can use for my hemp inserts. I saw that the borax(oh crap or was it the soda?) would stay in the hemp and burn the booty so can someone please tell me what I can safely use on the hemp?
I also couldn't read everything, but I have also heard that Borax can ruin the elastic in the legs? Thoughts?
Love4leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #500
Ladybugsjoy
Registered Users
Formerly: u****ride
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sweets View Post
I can't say what homemade soap is safe, but I will agree to the don't use it on hemp comment I accidently tossed in one of our Thirsties Hemp Fitteds in this soap recipe and DD woke up yesterday with a red butt. Literally every part her skin was touching the diaper, front, back, sides, were all pink/red. She does have mild exzema which could attribute to some of it, but it hasn't happened with the other diapers, inserts, or pockets that I've washed in it. I feel bad for putting that one on her now. I like the homemade laundry soap, but I will either have to wash her diapers in the laundry soap, or get diligent about washing the two hemp fitteds in different soap.
http://www.etsy.com/ladybugsjoycreations
Ladybugsjoy is offline   Reply With Quote