Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #1
FunnyGalMama
Registered Users

Question HELP!!..milk allergy

My son has become allergic to milk, completely. He had half a slice of cheese and his diapers were horrible!. The problem is he won't drink formula or say milk, even if I add some type of flavoring to it. I've tried everything from making ice out of formula to put into his food, to buying him new cups with his favorite show characters on them. He just won't drink the stuff. He's 19 months old, and the doctor said he's plenty big enough to not worry about it, but as a mom I can't help it. He's not getting those important vitamins from the milk!! Any ideas? Or am I really worrying about nothing here...
Thanks...
Kate

Advertisement

FunnyGalMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Jenrose
Registered Users

Re: HELP!!..milk allergy

19 months is a little young for no breastmilk or formula or dairy, but not impossible. My older daughter has not had dairy, ever, other than trials for allergy which are usually failed within minutes. I nursed her a long time specifically because I wanted to avoid dairy for her, but even so, she has no dairy now and very little problem.
Jenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
FunnyGalMama
Registered Users

Looking back, I really wish I had nursed my son, but at the time, circumstance and lack of support didn't give me a lot to work with. DS was on milk by only 8 months. I didn't want to put him on it, but there weren't any other options then..
Old 12-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Christy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we do goats milk here. GL and
Old 12-29-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd was allergic to milk too. She grew out of it at 16 mo, but I nursed her until she was a year old.

From 12 - 16 she drank soy formula and later soy milk. You just have to give it every day, and eventually he will drink it (it took us a couple of weeks). DD liked the enriched soy from Silk. When she outgrew her allergy, she took a while to adjust to the flavor of regular milk, they just like what they are used to being fed.

If it is just the vitamins, ask your ped to reccomend a suppliment. Milk its self is not all that. There are tons of other ways to the the nutrients he needs.

Good luck!
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:23 PM   #6
baconbitz
Registered Users

What we thought was a milk allergy in our now 17 month old turned out to be a lactose intolerance. He was having horrible diapers that smelled like sour milk and very loose stools that looked like curdled milk. He now drinks the Lactaid milk and is doing very well on it.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:49 PM   #7
weddell
Registered Users
seller

I agree that it could be lactose intolerance rather than an allergy. My dd has a milk allergy (tested positive to an allergy test and gets hives from dairy). If it is just really bad diapers, then it may be an intolerance. Does he react badly to any other dairy products like yogurt? Many times people with an intolerance do fine with yogurt, but people with an allergy don't. I would try the lactose free milk and see if that makes a difference.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:18 PM   #8
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little ones are all allergic to dairy as well. I use almond milk and they love it. I also give them vitamins in their juice with calcium to make up for the lack of it in their diet.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:31 PM   #9
LadonnaKen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I understand your stress--my youngest is allergic to dairy (he can't tolerate the protein, casien, in my diet at all), though he's obviously not lactose intolerant. Then, my hubby *is* lactose intolerant. Its insane!

So, anyway, this is a good article on lactose intolerance: http://www.pcrm.org/health/Info_on_V...tolerance.html
You might also try www.kellymom.com for ideas on foods that he can eat that will give him the same nutrients as milk (avocados, for example, have the same high-fat, and the fat in them helps brain growth).

Hope that helps some, and I am so sorry you didn't receive the support to be able to breastfeed him--that happens way too often in this country.
LadonnaKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

The vitamins in milk are added artificially. The stuff they get in milk they can get from other sources.

IMO if he won't drink it, there's a reason for it. Perhaps he knows it makes him sick or feel bad and that's why he won't drink it. Most formula's are made from dairy and alot of people who can't have dairy have the same issues with soy.

My oldest dd is 8 and doesn't drink milk unless it's chocolate. I don't drink milk, I haven't since I was 11. It tastes sour and warm no matter how cold it is. I often get really bad stomach pains from it too. Ice cream makes me feel really gross. I don't eat alot of cheese. My younger 2 kids love milk but I don't give it to them often. Asha gets extremely constipated and grumpy from it. Nadia tested to having an allergy from it at 3 weeks old. She can handle some of it, but I don't give her alot of it. She doesn't get constipated but it does affect her behaviour.