Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm done but he's not?

We're weaning b/c of TTC (I've been on domperidone and have to stop to lower my prolactin levels so I can ovulate). I don't really know how to handle my ds with this. I am no longer making milk or at least not much. I really thought it wouldn't be too hard on him, but he's pitiful. Last night I tried the sit in the chair and rock and give him a cup of milk, and after a few minutes of whining and saying "ni ni's, ni ni's, mama" he gave up and took the cup. After he finished the cup of milk, he hands it to me and looks up so sweet and expectant and says "ni ni's mama?" and I just caved in and let him nurse cause it just broke my heart. I just want this to be done quickly cause it's hurting my heart to do it. Any ideas for how to go about this night time weaning?

Advertisement

SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm done but he's not?

We had to wean my DS because I wasn't producing enough. I was on Reglan and even that wasn't helping - he was starting to lose weight. He wouldn't take a bottle either. We were told to wean cold turkey - pick a day and no more boob. For us, since he wasn't taking a bottle yet period, it was a very rough 24 hours. We are now on day 3 and while he still tries to assume a BFing position he no longer screams at the sight of a bottle.

Maybe you could just pick a night and stop. Offer the milk, an extra story, rock him a little longer - everything but boob?
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:34 AM   #3
mamadrea
Registered Users

We just night-weaned a week and a half ago. We also want to TTC and I haven't had a period yet. There were tears (both mine and his) but now he is sleeping through the night for the first time ever (he is 21 months).

We are co-sleepers, so I think that was hard, because it is so easy to just roll over and nurse him when he cries. But, I gave him about a millions snuggles and back rubs and he woke up less and less with each night. He sometimes just wants to put his hand on it, which is fine with me. Whatever provides that comfort. At first he'd try to put his hand on it and move it towards his mouth, but now his little hand just holds it. Ha! Anyway... now we just nurse at nap time.... and I don't know how either of us are going to break that habit!

It's probably harder on you than him, but I know... my son actually says "nurse? please?" It breaks my heart. But... apparently he is doing okay without nursing all night. If only I could sleep better too, then we'd all be in good shape...
mamadrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:50 AM   #4
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds has slept in his own room, in his own crib since he was 4.5mos. I am continuing to try to give him a cup at bedtime and not offer the breast, but he continues to drink a bit from the cup and then hand it to me and ask for ni ni. IDK. I guess I'm just going to let him at this point, because my prolactin levels are down now and I've come to terms with not pumping and with weaning so I'll just do it (bedtime nursing only) until he decides he doesn't want to.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
Old 12-12-2008, 05:11 AM   #5
hlstevens
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my son was about the same age when we weaned. Is he just nursing once? how often does he nurse? does he nurse at all during the night?

I think gentle weaning is best, especially if it is mother led weaning. But he is old enough where distraction is a going to be a great tool to help take his mind away. Like PP mentioned, offer some stories, have dad put him down...

if he is nursing during the night, i highly recommend Dr Jay Gordons night weaning method. So gentle, and you can modify it to fit your needs.
I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!!
hlstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't make him stop. I've tried and it's upsetting to him and then it upsets me. He has stopped asking during the day, and I can live with just the nursing at bedtime.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can you have DH put him to bed? I just cut out the night one and I had DH put her to bed the first 4 nights of it. She knows he can't give it to her and I have before not been there when she went to bed.

Also, I started distancing the night one from the bedtime routine. Instead of doing it in the rocker in the dark, I did it in front of the tv with lights on then started the rest of the routine. This was she seemed to start disassociating it with the bedtime routine and didn't even seem to notice. It was still close enough to bed (10-15 min) that it was bedtime.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote